Department of Finance Canada - Consultations and Communications Branch
$67,241 to $80,274
For further information on the organization, please visit Department of Finance Canada
28 August 2020 - 23:59, Pacific Time
Who can apply:
Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad.
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS APPLY TO BOTH POSITIONS.
Please ensure that your work experience is clearly detailed in your résumé and that you provide the following information:
1) Name of the department or organization;
2) Title of the position, level and duration;
3) Concrete and detailed examples demonstrating how you meet the essential and the asset qualifications.
Contact information for three (3) references:
Your current and previous supervisor and a client/senior colleague.
You must submit a completed application, consisting of screening questions and your résumé.
Your résumé will have to demonstrate how education and experience factors of the screening questions are met to be considered further.
The Department of Finance (FIN) plays a vital role in helping the Government of Canada develop the social and economic policies that will further improve the standard of living and quality of life of Canadians, their families and their communities in the years to come.
FIN’s new flagship facility at 90 Elgin Street, in the heart of downtown Ottawa. The building is equipped with state-of-the art technologies to support collaboration and innovation. The area is served by all major bus routes and a light rail station, and employees have access in the building to amenities such as a library and showers, change rooms and secure bicycle storage, allowing them to commute using the National Capital Region’s bike path system.
FIN has also been named one of Canada’s Top Employers for three years in a row and is one of Canada’s 2019 Top Employers for Young People. The Department also consistently ranks among the best federal public organizations for results to the Public Service Employee Survey.
As Social Media or News Media Analyst, you will be part of a creative and multi-talented team, and use your abilities to see trends, spot emerging issues, and seek opportunities to increase the Department’s visibility and public awareness.
If you are:
Specifically, you will:
- keen about the media environment and emerging issues;
- enthusiastic about channel-surfing to seize the best opportunities to enhance the organization’s reputation;
- and who wants to work for one of Canada’s Top Employers, consider joining the FIN team!
- participate actively in the social media activities and/or news media analysis for the Department;
- undertake media monitoring to identify activities or issues that affect the national interest by conducting systematic daily or sporadic monitoring of Canada’s print, electronic and/or social media and other information sources;
- develop media summaries or analyses pertaining to current social and economic issues, topics or incidents;
- identify and contribute to the development of content and strategies for media and online platforms;
- review and interpret media reports and social media metrics in order to inform management of potentially sensitive and controversial incidents.
Intent of the process
The immediate intention of this selection process is to fill indeterminate positions with BBB/BBB linguistic profiles.
A partially assessed pool may be established through this process to staff identical or similar positions within the Department with various language requirements.
Positions to be filled:
Information you must provide
Contact information for 3 references.
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
*** INSTRUCTIONS TO FOLLOW ***
- NOTE: You must clearly demonstrate in the screening questionnaire how you meet the screening criteria (Education and Experience) listed in the Essential Qualifications and any of the Asset Qualifications, if applicable. Please note that stating that the requirement has been met, and/or listing past or current responsibilities, does not represent adequate substantiation. You must clearly demonstrate through concrete examples how you meet each criterion. Résumés may be used as a secondary source to validate the qualifications described; comments such as "refer to my attached résumé" and a "copy and paste" from your resume will not be accepted and will result in your application being rejected.
FAILURE TO PROVIDE A COMPLETE APPLICATION, CONSISTING OF RESPONDING TO THE SCREENING QUESTIONNAIRE AND PROVIDING A RESUME, MAY RESULT IN YOUR APPLICATION BEING REJECTED. APPLICATIONS THAT DO NOT CLEARLY DEMONSTRATE THAT THE CANDIDATE MEETS THE SCREENING CRITERIA WILL NOT BE GIVEN FURTHER CONSIDERATION.
Candidates must meet the essential qualifications to be appointed to a position. Asset qualifications may be a deciding factor in choosing the person to be appointed.
A degree* from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- The term degree refers to a baccalaureate or higher degree as established by educational authorities.
** Based on their education, training and/or experience, indeterminate incumbents of positions in the IS classification are deemed to meet the minimum education standard whenever a bachelor's degree without any specialization is called for in a position classified as IS.
- Significant* experience in media monitoring, including medium such as electronic press, newspaper, social media, radio and television;
- Experience researching, analyzing, and summarizing information;
- Experience in supporting issues management for news media and/or social media in a business environment;
- Experience in preparing comprehensive reports on communications activities for management and other audiences.
- Significant is defined by the depth and breadth of experience that is normally acquired by performing related activities on a full-time basis for a cumulative period of six (6) months or more in a business environment. The amount, the complexity and the diversity of activities, as well as the autonomy level will be taken into consideration.
- Knowledge of the Canadian media environment and effective monitoring practices.
- Ability to research, analyze, and summarize information;
- Ability to develop public relations or social media content;
- Ability to provide sound advice and recommendations relating generally to communications, news media and social media;
- Ability to work effectively under pressure;
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing;
- Ability to communicate effectively orally.
- Reliability and self-sufficiency
- Effective Interpersonal Skills
- Result oriented
- Client Service Competency: Delivers high-quality client service
If you possess any of the following, your application must also clearly explain how you meet it (other qualifications)
- Experience in researching and writing a variety of communications materials, such as social media content, news releases, fact sheets, or feature articles in a business environment;
- Experience in working with subject matter experts in the implementation of communications initiatives;
- Experience in working in a multi-role communications team that supports an organization’s corporate objectives and major projects.
- Knowledge of Government of Canada Policy on Communication and Federal Identity.
- Ability to write and/or edit content for various social media channels;
- Ability to write and/or edit communications material to address public issues.
Willingness and ability to work overtime on short notice, including weekends as per operational requirements.
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
Bilingual - Imperative (BBB/BBB)
Information on language requirements
Conditions of employment
Secret security clearance
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Information on employment equity
A written examination may be administered.
An interview may be administered.
Reference checks may be sought.
The application of the Asset Qualifications, random selection and/or top down selection may be used at any stage of the selection process. Please note that achieving a pass mark on any of the assessments used does not mean you will move forward in the selection process. Management may decide to use a cut-off mark that is higher than the pass mark on any evaluation used throughout the process.
Acknowledgment of receipt of applications will not be sent; we will contact candidates when the screening process is completed.
If you are already working in the federal government, please identify clearly your substantive group and level and your employment status on your resume and/or application form.
If applicable, please ensure that your Personal Record Identifier (PRI) is included in your application.
Persons are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of their choice. Applicants are asked to indicate their preferred official language in their application.
ONLY ON-LINE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
You must be prepared to provide the original or a certified true copy of your educational credentials.
The Public Service of Canada is also committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity or testing, you should advise the Public Service Commission or the departmental official in a timely fashion of the accommodation measures which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
Preference will be given to veterans and to Canadian citizens, in that order, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
Information on the preference to veterans
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.