The Ball Mill Operator is responsible for monitoring and controlling the safe and efficient operation of the Ball Mill.
Shift: 7/7 - 7 days on & 7 days off
Hours: 5:45 a.m. to 6:15 p.m. (day shift) & 5:45 p.m. to 6:15 a.m. (night shift)
Wage: $26.00 - $28.00/hour (depending on experience)
Night Shift Premium: $2.00/hour
Benefits: After three (3) months of successful employment
Duties & Responsibilities
- Takes process readings and makes necessary process changes or adjustments
- Uses electronic process monitoring system to monitor plant systems and equipment
- Perform start-up and shut-down of plant or related systems
- Operate processing equipment and makes adjustments as needed; performs basic maintenance on processing equipment and reports maintenance issues
- Monitor trunnion lube system
- Monitor and verify lubricant levels for gear spray system
- Monitor and record pinion bearing temperatures
- Monitor and record pinion gear face temperatures according to manufacturer guidelines
- May operate mobile equipment such as front-end loaders, forklifts, skid-steer loaders and overhead cranes
- Perform area housekeeping duties and may perform work area and safety audits
- Monitor and document testing in log book
- Perform pre and post shift inspections and reports condition of plant for items needing repair
- Examine situations in light of the principles of the Code of Ethics
- Perform other duties as required
- Operates controls to batch materials
- Coordinate truck loadout
- Advise plant crew of production and/or maintenance schedule
- Verify material supply to produce mix schedules
- Manage on-hand material quantities
- Communicate daily production records to Plant Superintendent
- Communicate and coordinate with Quality Control to fully understand product quality
- Carry out preventative maintenance inspection schedule
- Repair mechanical issues and troubleshoot plant issues
- Maintain adequate spare parts inventory and appropriate tool inventory to preform timely repairs
- Verify crew is on site on time to start production
- Provide training for crew members through mentoring, cross training and tool box meetings.
- Monitor (by testing) plant rate of production.
- Participate as vital team member, and contribute towards the success of the organizations which may involve the provision of other technical support, as required.
- Promote a team approach and maintain a dialogue with all employees to exchange information and gather ideas.
- Collaborate with any project teams on other special initiatives
Risk Management, Health & Safety
- It is the responsibility of Peaskie Minerals employees to take care to ensure their own safety and the safety of others, to know and follow all safety and health instructions, rules, regulations, and safe work procedures and to report any unsafe or substandard condition or act as soon as possible to the employer
- Incumbents are responsible for ensuring that the operations are performed with the utmost regard for the health and safety of all personnel, and for promoting proper attitudes towards safety and health in themselves and in those they supervise
- Work with Plant Superintendent and Safety Lead to investigate damage, incidents, or near misses in the work site, and ensure proper procedures are cared for.
- Conduct weekly tool box meetings
- Ensure lockout procedures are met
- Ensure MSDS sheets are accurate and updated
- Maintain and promote good housekeeping throughout the Ball Mill
Qualifications, Education & Training
- Possess a high school diploma or GED, however not required
- Class 5 Drivers’ License with a clean Driver Abstract
- Confined Space Entry Training
- Possess a minimum of 3 years repair/maintenance experience, experience at an asphalt and/or sand & gravel plant is considered an asset.
- 6 months of experience in mill process operations
- 2+ years of mobile equipment experience
- 2+ years of experience working in a process, manufacturing, and/or mining environment
- Knowledge of the dry grind system and flow system through mill and pneumatic area
- Knowledge of the filtering and drying process
- Knowledge of placard system to accurately identify hazardous materials
- Understanding of computerized controls and electronics
- Excellent hand, eye, and foot coordination
- Sharp attention to detail
- Excellent sense of balance
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal, communication and organizational skills, with the ability to work both independently and part of a team
- High degree of personal initiative and ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to multi-task and shift priorities as necessary
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to communicate well with supervisors and staff, and to foster positive work relationships
- Ability to work overtime and varying shifts including evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays
- While performing this job the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and outside weather conditions (wet, hot, cold, dust, wind).
- The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, extreme cold, extreme heat, and vibration.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high.
- Must be comfortable working in confined spaces.
- Must be able to comply with drug and alcohol testing requirements
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time
- Must be able to talk and hear audible sounds and voices
- Must be able to frequently walk, use hands and fingers, handle objects, and feel and reach with hands and arms.
- Ability to frequently lift up to 50 lbs and on occasion up to 70 lbs.
- Ability to perform physically demanding work including repetitive crouching, bending, kneeling, and shoveling.
- Vision abilities required for this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment Drug & Alcohol test, along with a Functional Fitness test
Job Type: Full-time
- repair/maintenance: 3 years (Preferred)
- mill process operations: 1 year (Preferred)
- mobile equipment: 2 years (Preferred)
- asphalt and/or sand & gravel plant: 3 years (Preferred)
- Opal, AB (Preferred)
- Class 5 Drivers License (Required)
- English (Required)