Thanks to our growth, we’re looking for a full-time Project Engineer. If you’re ready to join The Pod and help lead our Allies out of IT Mediocrity, then reach out and let’s dive in!
As an experienced IT professional, you know better than anyone that IT is about so much more than tickets and troubleshooting. It’s about helping businesses succeed. It’s about implementing technical solutions that make workplaces simply work.
We’reSmart Dolphins, a leading, strategic managed IT services company that helps small to medium sized businesses leverage technology to drive productivity and growth. Our goal is to ensure our Allies’ (our term for customers) IT is always an asset in their organization, by aligning their technology with their business goals. We have a special and rare opportunity to make a major impact on the world… and enjoy ourselves while we’re doing it!
As our Project Engineer, your goal is to provide world-class customer service and leadership to our Allies. You will be an important part of delivering our managed service solution through the provisioning of new technology to our Allies. The bulk of the role will be imaging, configuring and installing new workstations and decommissioning old workstations. You will also assist with other solution deployments and general assistance to the team.
As you get started with us, you’ll work in our office providing remote technical support to our Allies as part of our Support Team. This is part of our training process to get new Dolphins acquainted with our team, our Allies and our tools and processes. This position on the “Support Team” will likely last between one and six months.
Once you’re up and running, you’ll start working with our Project team – going onsite and assisting with new technology implementation. You’ll take a proactive, process-driven approach, deeply-impacting Allies’ technology and helping ensure we minimize reactive problems and business risk. You’ll help our Allies sleep well at night, knowing their businesses and technologies are stable and secure.
As part of our team, you will learn all aspects of our business and our managed IT services program. Working together, we’ll discover your strengths and specializations and work towards the right fit of role, interest, challenge, and job satisfaction.
As a Project Engineer, practically speaking, here’s what you’ll do:
- Ensuring the on-time and high-quality deployment of Ally workstations
- Decommissioning old workstations, including recycling, hard drive destruction and documentation
- Labeling all servers, workstations, laptops per Smart Dolphins naming convention
- Responsible for Imaging new workstations per Smart Dolphins procedures
- Documentation of new workstation details for each new deployment
- Development and updating of new workstation setup procedures, templates, checklists and documentation
- Maintain and update base workstation images
- Collaboration with Senior Project Engineer and the rest of the project team on large projects
- Updating ConnectWise Service Tickets, keeping real time logs
- Remain knowledgeable on current and new technology to improve provisioning processes
- Deploy other hardware (such as switches, firewalls, and WAPs) and software
- Participate in regularly scheduled team meetings.
- Support team assistance as required, including Triage/Dispatch
- Member of After Hours rotation as scheduled and required to support our Allies.
- Identify and communicate recurring problems and Allies “At Risk”.
- Hands-on experience managing business class desktop/network technologies
- One or more of the following technical certifications: MTA, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA, CCA
- Experience managing/troubleshooting Microsoft Windows 7, 10 in a business environment
- Experience managing/troubleshooting Microsoft Windows Server 2003/2008/2012
- Experience troubleshooting LAN/WAN network connectivity
- Experience managing/configuring/troubleshooting: Hyper V, firewalls, network switches (including VLANS), NAS devices
- Experience with backup/disaster recovery devices
- Experience with remote management tools
- Experience with any of the following: Connectwise, Lab Tech, Dell servers, cloud services like Office 365, StorageCraft, Meraki, OpenDNS security technology, APC UPS and Powerchute
- Valid driver’s license and a clean driving record
This is a full-time, permanent position working in out of our Victoria, BC office. You’ll also occasionally work with Allies on-site (located mainly on Vancouver Island). Your travel expenses are fully reimbursed.
You’ll work Monday to Friday, typically during business hours. Occasionally, due to Ally needs, you may need to work after-hours or on weekends. There’s also the possibility of working from home from time to time.
You’ll earn between $40,000 – $70,000/year, commensurate with experience. You’ll also have access to RSP matching, a medical/dental trust, a rewards program, a company laptop and cellphone, a personal vehicle allowance, and a profit sharing program. In addition to standard vacation, you’ll receive 5 additional sick days off.
The Right Fit:
Our best Dolphins are:
- Responsible: you take ownership of your role, and always do the right thing for our Allies, their business, and our team.
- Continuous learners: if you don’t know something, you ask questions and jump right in to learn new skills. You are intensely curious about business and technology and are forever hungry for personal growth.
- Process-oriented: checklists, documentation, and standards excite you. You enjoy building and following systems that keep things organized and Allies (and Dolphins) happy.
- Impact-Driven: you’re not just looking for a job, but more importantly, you are passionate about finding a long term home for your career, with equally-passionate people, at a place that makes a difference in the world.
If this sounds like you, then we can’t wait to meet you!
Working at Smart Dolphins
If you asked our current team why they love Smart Dolphins, they’ll tell you being here feels like a one-of-a-kind opportunity. We do challenging and meaningful work for some really caring, successful and valuable local organizations, all while working with a family-like team. The perks and office are great. For most Dolphins, there is no place we’d rather work!
Our leadership is committed to teaching our team about our business, technology, and generally providing continuous learning and educational opportunities. Working here means building a business you take pride in and growing into the Dolphin we need you to be in the future.
Smart Dolphins has been recognized with several awards that speak to the unique and special place we’ve created over the years together:
- 2018 – Best Place to Work Canada (including Best Workplace in Technology and Best Workplace for Millennials)
- 2017 – Outstanding Workplace of the Year (GVCC)
- 2012 – VIATEC Employer of the Year
- 2007 – Worklife BC Award of Merit
We hope you’ll help us win our next award!
How to Apply
Our online application will give you the option to apply to this role as a complete person – not just a resume. The application will assess your qualifications, personality traits and workplace preferences, and should take 10 to 15 minutes to complete. After submitting, you’ll receive an email inviting you to log in and view your assessment results.
We strive to build a team that reflects the diversity of the community we work in, and encourage applications from ALL groups and people, including those who are traditionally underrepresented. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us using the “Help” button.
We will review applications, with priority given to those who have completed the assessment, and look forward to hearing from you.
Apply online before December 21st at: https://form.jotform.com/82827279986277
Job Type: Full-time