Zephyr Sleep Technologies is seeking a full-time Data Science Associate to work with the technology team in the development of customer solutions and advances in the field of sleep
medicine. This is a unique opportunity to lead and develop new skills in in multidisciplinary data acquisition, signal processing, feature extraction, data mining, machine learning in relation to medical device development. Zephyr was recently one of the first medical device companies to receive FDA clearance for a device which integrates AI.
The Data Science Associate will work closely with Zephyr’s senior Data Scientist to acquire,manage and gain novel insights from proprietary physiological input data as well as customerfield data. Working closely with team members in product development, software, and customersuccess the Associate will work to turn these new technologies into product advances forZephyr customers.
Key aspects of the role include:
- Work closely with multidisciplinary teams to understand the problems and developcustomer solutions
- Leverage and improve upon state-of-the-art machine learning, data mining and deep learning solutions to solve challenging problems across a variety of domains
- Collect, process, cleanse, and verify the integrity of data used for analysis
- Develop appropriate descriptive and prescriptive models that extract insight from the data
- Select features, build and optimize classifiers using machine learning techniques
- Research and develop advanced algorithms for predictive analysis
- Identify, analyze, and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets
- Develop and implement data collection systems and other strategies to optimize statistical efficiency and data quality
- Assist in the conduct, analysis and reporting of clinical investigations leading to proof of concept assessment, technology development and/or product validation at a level required by the FDA and other regulatory bodies
- Adhere to regulatory, quality system (ISO 13485 and 21 CFR 820) and privacyrequirements (e.g. PIPEDA/HIPAA)
- Full time, 2 year term. Position is funded under the Alberta Innovates R & D Associate grant, and is contingent on the applicant successfully meeting the criteria.
- Reports to the Specialist, Advanced Engineering and Data Science
- Familiarity with machine learning and big data technologies
- Experience with data mining and analysis
- Proficiency in at least two of the following: MATLAB, R, C++, python, Tabloue
- Knowledge of data management and databases
- Knowledge of cloud computing platforms
- Familiarity with signal processing, filtering, and feature extraction is an asset
- Strong organizational skills, excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A team player, with a desire to work in an entrepreneurial work environment
- A strong interest in learning and trying new ideas
Advanced degree (PhD preferred) in a related field (engineering, computer science,
Previous industry experience is not required, proficiency and expertise demonstrated by
successful course or project work will be considered.
ABOUT ZEPHYR SLEEP TECHNOLOGIES
Zephyr Sleep Technologies (“ZST” or the “Company”) designs, develops and manufacturesmedical devices for diagnosis and treatment of sleep disordered breathing. Zephyr has launched its second generation product, the MATRx Plus, marketed to dentists and designed tofulfill the needs of a significant and expanding market in the US. The MATRx Plus is a tablet-based and cloud-connected medical device designed to be used at the dental patient’s homeand is currently cleared by Health Canada for sale in Canada and by the US Food and DrugAdministration (FDA) for sale in the US. The MATRx Plus medical device is deployed bydentists to their patients to complete a two-night home study which determines: i) if a simple oralappliance is capable of treating obstructive sleep apnea (“OSA”) and, ii) a therapeutic positionfor the mandible. This information allows a dentist to custom make an oral appliance for an OSApatient.
Zephyr Sleep Technologies was founded in 2010 and was spun out of the University of Calgary.ZST is a private company headquartered in Calgary, Alberta currently with 45 employees. Theintent is to grow the team to 60+ in 2019.
Partnership with DENTSPLY SIRONA (“D/S”)
In 2017 ZST closed a strategic investment with Dentsply Sirona (“D/S”), the largest dentaltechnology company in the world. In addition to the investment, D/S is also “bundling” a MATRxPlus with each of its Orthophos 3D AI – cone beam CT scanners in the US.
The first generation product, MATRx is installed in 200 sleep labs and clinics in North Americaand over 12,000 tests have been completed since 2013. MATRx Plus is now installed in close to130 sites in Canada and the US. The plan is to be in 3,000 - 5,000 dentist offices by the end of2021.
Keep it Simple
To help people live healthy and productive lives by sleeping better
- Do it right
- Find a way
- Work as a team
- Continually improve
- Be agile – work fast, smart and hard
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
- Machine Learning: 1 year (Preferred)
- Cloud computing: 1 year (Preferred)
- Data mining: 1 year (Preferred)
- Big data: 1 year (Preferred)
- Doctoral Degree (Preferred)