Are you looking for a rewarding and an exciting career in Social Services and Community Living?
Strive Living Society (Strive) is seeking caring and enthusiastic individuals to join our progressive non-profit organization as a Child and Youth Community Support Worker, in casual/on-call positions working within the community.
Strive is a non-profit registered charity providing residential and community inclusion supports to children, youth, adults, and older adults throughout the lower mainland since 1988. If you can relate to our mission and vision, we want you to work for us!
Strive’s Mission is “To partner with individuals of diverse abilities to lead healthy, fulfilling lives by providing a foundation of support.”
Strive’s Vision is “Building a continuum of services to support the needs of individuals at every stage of life.”
Strive offers fully paid benefits benefits\*, great learning and development opportunities, and an engaging, positive environment for a long-term career.
We are in need of casual support who have a BCDL Class 5 or 7N with reliable vehicles in the Surrey, Burnaby, Richmond, Coquitlam, Vancouver and North Vancouver areas.
This is a casual/on-call opportunity. Hours per week are dependent on the candidates availability and willingness to pick up shifts.
- School Transport - Monday to Friday: 7-9am and 2-4pm
- Afterschool Support - Monday to Friday: 2-7pm
- Weekend Support - Saturday to Sunday: 10am-6pm
- \*these shifts are approximations, shifts can range from a minimum of 2 hours to maximum of 8 hours daily\*
Why work for Strive?
- A $130 onboarding incentive
- Employer paid Criminal Record Check Clearance
- Paid orientations and trainings (First Aid, CPR, Mandt, etc.) and professional development
- Employer paid extended health benefits including prescription medication, paraprofessional services, vision, etc. \*
- Employer paid dental benefits including orthodontic coverage \*
- Employer contribution to Municipal Pension Plan (MPP) \*
- Employer paid Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- Competitive starting compensation with regular advances $22.67 to $25.17/hr
- Casual employees are provided up to an additional 10.2% of wages in lieu of benefits
- Reimbursement to upgrade to Class 4 BCDL if required (one time only upon successful acquisition)
- Competitive paid annual vacation
- Generous statutory holiday pay
- Generous paid Health Bank
- Flexible schedules to accommodate life/work balance
- Referral bonus program
- Inclusive environment with team building events and cultural celebrations
- Health and wellness activities and incentives
- Milestone rewards
- Access to community member discounts
- Ongoing support, mentoring, and recognition to help with engagement and career growth
\*Some benefits have eligibility requirements of surpassing three (3) months and securing a regular position of 20hrs/week or more. The benefits and criteria may change from time to time at the discretion of Strive.
Due to the sensitive nature of the work and a Public Health Order, Strive requires all successful applicants to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Acceptance of employment indicates an understanding and consent to disclosing this information supported by evidence of vaccination status.
Strive ensures the health and safety of all employees by acting with an abundance of caution and adhering to guidelines from the Ministry of Health, mandating regular safety training, and providing employees with access to personal protective equipment.
The position entails working in a community setting (one to one) with individuals who are diagnosed with developmental delays, ADHD, FASD as well as Autism, OCD and challenging behaviors.
The successful candidate would spend most of their time assisting children and youth to work towards their goals, teaching life skills, community integration and social skills.
The ideal applicant shall possess:
- Knowledge and experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities, physical disabilities, mental health concerns, and behaviours
- An understanding of the needs and barriers faced by individuals with various abilities
- Command of English language with ability to communicate effectively and complete daily documentation
- Ability to understand and follow health care plans, personal protocols, schedules, and activities
- Ability to follow policies and procedures, including health and safety policies
- An understanding of the difference between creating independence vs. creating dependence
- Competence to safely accompany/transport individuals to appointments and activities in the community
- Knowledge and experience with community resources, integration, and teaching life skills
- The physical ability to perform all the duties required of the position
Job qualifications include (if you do not have all of these, but demonstrate you are a good fit for the position, Strive may be able assist you to acquire some of these requirements):
- Class 5 or 7N BC Driver’s License required and clean driver’s abstract
- Personal vehicle for work and car insurance with third-party liability of $2 million
- Minimum of 1-year of experience (or combination of education and experience)
- Positive Behaviour Management Training
- Criminal Record Clearance, Ministry of Justice and Ministry of Children and Family Development
- Out of Country CRC (if you have lived outside of Canada within the last 5 years)
- First Aid and CPR Certificate
- MANDT Training will be offered in house
- Food Safe Certificate
- 3 professional references
Competitive compensation starting at $22.67! Plus benefits upon meeting eligibility requirements.
\*without precedence and without prejudice\*
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Strive Living Society is an equal opportunity employer which does not discriminate against age, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, or disability.
Strive Living Society is grateful to operate on the traditional and unceded territories of the Coast Salish Nations.
Job Types: Part-time, Casual, Seasonal
Salary: From $22.67 per hour
- Casual dress
- Commuter benefits
- Company events
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Store discount
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- Day shift
- Every Weekend
- Monday to Friday
- On call
- Weekend availability
- Weekends only
- Have you been fully vaccinated against COVID-19? Do you consent to disclosing this information supported by evidence of vaccination status?
- Due to the sensitive nature of working with vulnerable clients who may be immunocompromised and to comply with a Public Health Order, Strive retains the right to ask specific health questions as part of our applicant screening process. Are you comfortable with that?
- Do you agree to follow the Ministry of Health’s recommendations for continued COVID-19 immunization?
- Do you have a reliable vehicle that can be used to commute throughout the lower mainland (Richmond, Burnaby, North Vancouver, Coquitlam, Surrey and Fraser Valley area)?
- Secondary School (preferred)
- child and youth: 1 year (preferred)
- Class 5 or 7N BC Driver's License (preferred)