Strathcona Paper Company
This is an excellent career opportunity for a Production Manager with a strong operations background in the paper industry and strong leadership skills, to improve quality while driving efficiencies and be part of a growing success story.
Strathcona Paper is North America’s only company dedicated exclusively to the manufacture and supply of medium to heavy weight paperboard. The company has grown to become the box board of choice for North America’s largest consumer brands. Strathcona Paper is a subsidiary of PaperWorks Industries, Inc. which has 16 facilities across North America
The Production Manager is responsible for managing the production process and troubleshooting problems that occur to ensure the efficient, safe, and timely production of paperboard products that meet the needs of Strathcona customers.
- Reports to the Operations Manager.
- Directly supervise 4 supervisors and indirectly approximately 40 hourly employees.
- Ensure that all equipment, machinery and material used meets necessary regulations and legislative requirements for safety and environment.
- Ensure that employees follow safety procedures.
- Plan and monitor expenditures, production and material usage rates and identify cost savings.
- Ensures that the paperboard machine is operating efficiently at all times and that production rates and products meet standards
- Oversee the production of paperboard and specialty products to the standards demanded by company customers and consistent with the industry.
- Troubleshoot immediate problems in the production process.
- Provide direction to area supervisors to rectify problems.
- Review and research long-term, recurring and systematic production and quality problems by identifying causes and contributing factors
- Recommend alternative solutions and trialing and evaluating their feasibility.
- Work with Finance to determine target production rates, material usage and costing standards.
- Determine and implement strategies to exceed production rates and save costs in the short term.
- Recommend strategies to exceed production and save costs in the long term.
- Track production and material usage rates by shifts and areas of operation. Report the rates regularly and explain variances to management.
- Coordinate with Quality Assurance Technical Specialist and Shift Supervisor to obtain information about customer long-term and short-term needs and assess the capability to meet their needs.
- Develop, locate and update operational procedures for the board machine area.
- Ensure that employees are trained on these procedures by conducting training and information sessions.
- Determine the training needs of employees and implement training programs.
Experience / Qualifications:
- A university degree in mechanical or chemical engineering or a college diploma in Pulp and Paper Technology.
- An in-depth understanding of paper making including all paper making procedures and processes, equipment, chemicals, fibre and how all aspects are inter-connected.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in the paper manufacturing field of which 5 years must include superintendent experience.
- A good understanding of instrumentation, process loops and mechanical technology, computer systems, software (Spreadsheets, MSWord) and database management.
- Thorough knowledge of applicable government regulations (safety, environmental, Pressure Vessels Act).
- Working knowledge of financial systems sufficient to determine a budget, costing information and report on variances.
Why Work With Us?
- Stable corporate environment/company culture
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive benefit plan
- Bonus program
- RSP with company matching
If you feel that you have the necessary qualifications for this role, please forward your resume for consideration.
Please note that accommodation for job applicants with disabilities is available during the assessment process upon request.
We thank all who apply, however only those most closely matching these requirements will be contacted for an interview. Please do not contact the company directly.
Job Type: Full-time
- supervisory: 3 years (Required)
- paper manufacturing: 10 years (Required)
- Secondary School (Required)