The Peterborough Humane Society is looking for a part time Animal Control Officer to join our dedicated team in support of providing animal control services for Peterborough City & County.
The Animal Control Officer will be responsible for the education and enforcement of the Small Animal Control By-Law, as well as the Dog Owners Liability Act within the City of Peterborough, as well as contracted municipalities within Peterborough County. Reporting directly to the Manager of Operations, and working closely with the team of Animal Control. The successful candidate will be required to work weekdays, weekends, and/or a rotation schedule. In addition, the candidate must be available to work on-call shifts as required to respond to after hour emergencies.
- Establish new relationships and strengthen current relationships with local law enforcement, animal services, social service groups and community based organizations to identify opportunities to improve the well being of animals in the community
- Identify gaps in community support and work with community partners to improve service
- Provide Education and Enforcement of municipal animal by-laws
- Respond to domestic animals at large, including aggressive and / or fractures
- Responsible for the issuance of offence notices as required to maintain safe and responsible pet ownership
- Responsible for the issuance of Provincial Offence Notices under the Provincial Offences Act
- Keep accurate case records with details of all calls and complaints
- Act as a resource in providing testimony in court or at hearings when required
- Responsible for serving municipal orders, notices and warnings on a case by case basis
- Provide courteous and tactful service to the community at large
- Provide transport assistance for shelter animals required to attend veterinary hospitals, shelters, pet stores and wildlife rehabilitation facilities as required
- Operate and maintain Society vehicles in a safe and professional manner
- Participate in events that benefit local partnerships and strengthen community relationships
- Follow all policies and procedures as set out by the Society
- Establish working practices that maintain a safe and healthy, team focused approach the aligns with compliance of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its regulations.
- S.S.D -High School Diploma or equivalent
- Post-Secondary education in Law Enforcement and/or Security or Police Foundations would be a definite asset
- Ability to provide and maintain a clean Drivers Abstract
- Ability to provide and maintain a clean Police Clearance Certificate
- Valid Class “G” driver’s License
- Knowledge of animal husbandry and animal handling
- Knowledge of Federal, Provincial and Municipal laws and regulations
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, negotiation and organizational skills
- Excellent command of the English language, written and oral. (other languages may be required depending on Region)
- Ability to remain calm in situations of an emotional nature
- Proficient with Windows and MS Office.
Range of Pay - $14.00 - $17.00 per hour based on experience and qualifications
To apply for this exciting and rewarding position please email both a cover letter and resume addressed to Toni Redfern, Manager of Operations prior to 4:30pm on Friday November 29th, 2019. While we thank all for applying, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Peterborough Humane Society encourages people from diverse backgrounds to apply and self-identify. The Peterborough Humane Society is proud to provide employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your cover letter and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $14.00 to $17.00 /hour
- Customer Relations: 1 year (Preferred)