Overview: Gathers and researches information for use in technical documentation. Authors and compiles technical documents for internal and external use. Prepares illustrations, diagrams and charts. Assists with layout work as well as captures and documents process workflows for inclusion into technical documentation.
- Interview and work collaboratively with internal subject matter experts to write technical documentation supporting products and equipment.
- Read and interpret engineering blueprints and subcontractor data to enable succinct writing of technical data.
- Organize material and complete writing assignments according to specifications regarding order, clarity, conciseness, style and terminology of client requirements for technical documents. Write manuals, user guides and other documents to explain the installation, assembly, functionality and ongoing operations/ troubleshooting of products or equipment.
- Partner with Product Development to become familiar with product technologies and methods in order to produce technical documents.
- Collaborate with Information Technology staff to collect and interpret technical information. Edit and translate materials where applicable and review documentation created by other IT staff to create unified and consistent support documents.
- Write and publish technical bulletins.
- Review current materials and recommend revisions or changes in scope, format, content and methods of delivery.
- Edit, standardize and make changes to materials prepared by other writers or external consultants.
- Lay out material for internal publication.
- Create or select photographs, drawings, sketches, diagrams and charts to be included in technical manuals and documentation.
- Maintain records and files of work and revisions, both print and electronic.
- Ensure all technical documentation adheres to the organization’s communications and graphic standards, including the use of logos, trademarks and copyrighted materials.
- Comply with the organization’s environmental, health & safety, recycling, sustainability efforts and quality assurance policies and standards, as well as all governing legislative requirements.
- Perform any other duties as required.
- Minimum college degree with a major in Computer Science, Engineering or related program
- Minimum three to five years of experience working as a Technical Writer in a technical environment, or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated editing and writing skills with a proven ability to communicate complex technical data into simple language
- Excellent communication and project management skills
- Excellent knowledge in the use of a variety of software applications
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent