At the University of Manitoba our strength lies in our people—individuals who are driven by curiosity and work together to shape a better world.
Our commitment to discovery encompasses everything we do; from the education we offer students to the workplace we offer staff. Experience top benefits, world-class facilities and a community that inspires one another to carve their own path.
Recognized as one of Manitoba’s Top 25 Employers for the seventh consecutive year and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, the U of M is ready to help you take the next step in your career!
Under general supervision, the Caretaker is responsible for the routine daily cleaning of an assigned area, special cleaning as directed by the supervisor, maintaining a stock of sanitary and cleaning supplies and light bulbs, changing burned out light bulbs, disposing of garbage, reporting malfunctions of lighting systems and equipment to the supervisor and moving furniture and equipment within the assigned area when requested and as normal duties allow. These positions require coverage on a three shift basis, day, afternoon and night, and may involve an assignment to work any of the three shifts, or weekends.
The Qualifications and Experience We're Looking for:
- Education to an acceptable level.
- Acceptable related experience.
- Must possess a good knowledge of cleaning procedures and grounds maintenance as well as experience in the safe operation and maintenance of equipment used, such as floor polisher, vacuum cleaner, carpet extractors, power scrubber, lawnmower, weedeater, snowblower, etc.
- Must be able to communicate in English - oral and written.
- Must be able to follow oral and written instructions.
- Must be able to communicate and relate well with staff, students, organizers of functions and the public.
- Must be able to work independently or in teams with minimal supervision.
- Must have good organizational skills.
- Must be willing to work outdoors summer and winter.
- Must adhere to all safety standards as established by the Physical Plant Department.
- Must be able to successfully complete established job related training programs, such as WHMIS, etc.
- Must be willing to work any of day, afternoon, night or weekend shifts.
- Must be physically capable of performing the duties as assigned.
- Must be able to perform heavy and repetitive lifting, bending, stretching, etc.
- Must be able to lift at least 50 - 80 lbs.
- Must be able to climb ladders.
- Regular attendance and punctuality is required.
- Will be required to provide acceptable Criminal Record and Vulnerable Persons Registry checks.
Why The University of Manitoba?
Along with being one of Manitoba’s top employers, we are proud to provide a collaborative and enriching work environment. In addition to a strong compensation package with a competitive salary, the University provides an exceptional workplace that includes:
- Access to the university’s state-of-the-art fitness facilities.
- Employee and Family Assistance Program.
- A full spectrum of professional development opportunities.
Apply today through the University of Manitoba’s career portal, where you will find the full job specification: https://viprecprod.ad.umanitoba.ca/DEFAULT.ASPX?REQ_ID=06685
Applications will only be accepted if you apply on UM Careers.
The University of Manitoba is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from women, racialized persons, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations and genders, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. All candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
If you require accommodation supports during the recruitment process, please contact U of M's Diversity and Inclusion Facilitator, Valerie Williams at 204-474-8371.
Application materials, including letters of reference, will be handled in accordance with the protection of privacy provisions of "The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy" (Manitoba). Please note that curriculum vitae will be provided to participating members of the search process.
Job Type: Casual