This position is responsible for teaching SpellRead and other literacy programs to individuals or groups of students over a period of time in a classroom or online environment.
Principal Responsibilities and Accountability:
- Teach SpellRead to a group of students, over a period of time as defined by the program and the needs and composition of the student group.
- Prepare a lesson plan prior to each class in accordance with the SpellRead manual.
- Prepare all materials and supplies that are required for each session and each class.
- Complete daily reports on student progress.
- Review and comment on student writing assignments.
- Observations: record classes monthly and send them to support staff. Identify students whom you would consider “red flags” - those who may need extra support and management.
- Acquire a substitute instructor or schedule make up classes promptly if you are unwell and cannot conduct your regular class time.
- With support, manage relations between the students in the classroom, mediating and resolving any issues or difficulties and creating a cohesive learning environment in which every student participates and feels comfortable.
- Communicate with parents for a quick class recap after each class and review homework in person or via email.
- Attend quarterly staff meetings.
- Make use of biweekly support to review student progress and address any questions or concerns.
- Attend professional development opportunities.
- Be familiar with Halifax Learning values and mission statement.
- Ensure your calendar is updated correctly for timesheets.
Education and Training: Completion of an undergraduate degree is required. BEd is preferred.
Experience: Prior teaching and/or coaching experience are required.
Skills and Knowledge:
Excellent and efficient reading, writing and spelling skills must be demonstrated.
Excellent verbal communication skills and instructing ability.
Excellent auditory processing and phonological skills - assessed prior to interview.
Ability to relate to persons of all ages and backgrounds in an equal manner.
Hours of work: 11 am to 7 pm Monday to Thursday and 8:30 am to 4:30 pm on Saturday
Application deadline: 2021-11-17
Expected start date: 2021-12-06
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $35,000.00-$41,000.00 per year
All clients wear a mask in the lobby. We take precautions seriously as we work with a vulnerable age group.
- Are you available to work all of the times listed in the job description?
- Do you have transportation to our office in Bedford?
- What's your current covid vaccination status?