Position Title: Camp Awesome Counsellor
Hours of Work: Must be available for shifts between 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday. Up to 37.5 hours per week
Location: Various locations throughout the city of Ottawa and surrounding communities
Camp Awesome is a summer day camp and youth leadership development program that operates within the Eastern Ontario Outaouais Regional Council (EOORC) of The United Church of Canada.
Through our programs, Camp Awesome strives to promote a sense of belonging to a faith community, encourage critical thinking, promote respect for others and the environment, and provide a safe and fun environment for social, personal and faith development. Our Motto: Fun – Friendship – Faith
Nature and Scope: Reporting to the Camp Awesome Coordinators, the Counsellors are responsible for the direct supervision of campers and take an active role in delivering all camp activities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Leadership and Support
- Take the lead on small and large group games, songs, and crafts.
- Assist Senior Staff to ensure materials and supplies are available, organized, and ready for each day of camp.
Communication and Administration
- Build and maintain positive relationships with campers, camp staff and volunteers.
- Effective communication in problem solving and response to incidents.
- Responsible for ensuring privacy and confidentiality of all personal information of campers and parents.
Health and Safety
- Ensure all Health, Safety and Risk Management policies and procedures are followed at all times, by all campers and staff.
- Support the maintenance of a safe, clean, and well-organized camp environment.
- Responsible for the daily health and safety of their camp group.
- Must be at least 16 years of age at the start of contract
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR C certifications
- Desire to work with children
- Previous completion of leadership or counsellor in training program an asset
- Previous experience working in a camp setting an asset
- Ability to follow and be receptive to direction
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with energetic children
Vulnerable Sector Criminal Records Check and proof current First Aid and CPR certification required upon hiring.
For a complete job description and further details about Camp Awesome please visit our website: www.camp-awesome.ca/staff
We will be accepting applications on an ongoing basis until all positions are filled. We welcome all applications; however we will contact only those candidates selected for consideration.
EOORC is an equal opportunity employer, and models its practices after the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. We are committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation, please inform us in advance so that we can arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
Job Types: Full-time, Fixed term contract, Seasonal
Contract length: 6 weeks
Salary: $15.00 per hour
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- No weekends
Camp Awesome of EOORC will follow all guidance from the Ontario Ministry of Health and Local Public Health Unit for the operation of Summer Day Camps. Precautions will include but not limited to; daily screening and enhanced cleaning.
- First Aid and CPR certification (preferred)
Expected start date: 2022-07-04