The Team you are Joining – Who We Are:
The Halton Regional Police Service contributes to the safety and well-being of more than 620,000 residents in Halton Region which includes the Towns of Milton, Halton Hills and Oakville, and the City of Burlington. It is our continual pursuit of excellence that keeps Halton at the forefront of policing and as a leader in the public safety arena. Through upstream approaches, partner collaboration, training, community engagement and a strong focus on inclusion and diversity, we have been able to maintain Halton’s status as the safest Canadian municipality with a population of 100,000 or more. This is exemplified through deep collaboration between our growing team of over 1,100 members and our residents, businesses, non-profit organizations, and municipal governments.
About the Role – How you will Contribute to the Service:
The Corporate Services Unit is looking to hire a Purchasing Coordinator (Title under review) to join their team. In this role, you will be responsible for coordinating the procurement process for all goods and services in accordance with the Halton Regional Police Service (HRPS) financial control by-law. You will also award and authorize the issuance of Contracts, Outline Agreements and Purchase Orders, while supervising the operations of the Purchasing Unit. This is your opportunity to join a team committed to community safety and contribute to the Service’s everyday operations.
What you will be Responsible for:
- Develop goals and objectives to support efficient operation of the unit
- Supervise and coordinate the work of the unit. Provide technical expertise and mentoring to staff with respect to purchasing methods, approaches and tools
- Assist with the preparation and maintenance of budget for the Unit. Monitor expenditures
- Research, develop, recommend and implement procurement policies and procedures for the HRPS. Develop procedures and practices to support the efficient processing of procurement documents
- Audit purchasing practices and work with end users and managers to ensure compliance with the HRPS financial control by-law and established systems
- Research and recommend procurement methods and strategies to acquire best product(s) for the best value
- Review and authorize single and/or sole source purchases with values under $25,000. Review and recommend single and/or sole source purchases with values between $25,000 and $100,000 to the Chief of Police
- Review and authorize the issuance of formal bid documents for Requests for Quotations and/or Requests for Proposals. Create and authorize the issuance of Requests for Tender
- Create and oversee the evaluation process for bid responses involving an evaluation committee
- Award and competitively bid contracts for goods and/or services up to $100,000. Make recommendations to Chief of Police to award competitively bid contracts for goods and/or services in excess of $100,000
- Negotiate leases, contracts and purchases on behalf of end users. Review and authorize the issuance of all Purchase Orders and Contracts. Ensure procurements are authorized by the appropriate Budget authority and that the authorization is within their approved limits
- Confirm that contract requirements are fulfilled prior to a Contractor commencing work within an HRPS facility. Monitor contractor’s’ performance for compliance and take corrective action per the Dispute Resolution Process, as required
- Make recommendations for the method of disposal of Service goods as required
- Assist in preparing and/or reviewing reports for the Police Services Board
- Act as a resource to the Uniform and Equipment Committee. Develop procedures and processes for the maintenance of the Equipment Standards Manual and furniture standards and ensure compliance with HRPS uniform/equipment standards and policies
- Represent HRPS in Public Sector Cooperative Purchasing Groups
- Other related duties as assigned
What you will Bring to the Role:
Education, Certifications and Qualifications: University Degree (BA – Business Admin, Supply Chain Management) plus a required designation as Certified Public Procurement Buyer (CPPB).
Previous Experience, Knowledge and Skills: The ideal candidate must possess a minimum 5 years of related work experience in purchasing, plus experience in a supervisory role.
Note: The successful applicant will need to pass a background check to the satisfaction of the Service which will include reference checks with previous employers, verification of educational achievements, and a criminal background screen.
What We Offer:
We offer the opportunity to join a progressive work environment with a leading police service. Our Service is committed to the values of Trust and Respect, Integrity, Accountability, Excellence, Teamwork and Justice. The potential of future continuing full-time opportunities exists. With that status, we provide our employees with a competitive salary and benefits package which includes but is not limited to comprehensive healthcare benefits, training and development opportunities, paid leave, onsite fitness opportunities, access to wellness resources and participation in a defined benefit pension plan – Ontario Municipal Employee Retirement System (O.M.E.R.S.). This position is based out of our Oakville Headquarters facility which is located at the QEW and North Service Road West.
How to be Considered for This Exciting Opportunity:
Please apply on line with a resume and a detailed letter outlining your experience and skills and how they relate to this role with the Service. This should be forwarded in confidence to our Human Resources Advisor, Human Resource Services, quoting Competition # 76-C-23A by Tuesday October 10, 2023. All applications must be submitted to the Service’s on-line system to be considered for this vacancy.
Please Note: The Halton Regional Police Service and HRPA are working on modernizing the job evaluation program. Once the program has been established, all civilian positions, including this position, will be evaluated under the new job evaluation program which may result in a change to the rate of compensation.
The Halton Regional Police Service strives to be an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to fairness and equity in employment and our recruitment and selection practices. We encourage and welcome applications from all who may contribute to the further diversification of our organization. Should you require an accommodation under the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC) and/or the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) during any stage of the recruitment process, we will work with you to remove any barriers. Please do not hesitate to let us know by contacting us for assistance.
We thank all applicants for their interest in joining our organization. Only those who are selected to advance through the recruitment process will be contacted by our team.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $90,738.00-$101,931.00 per year
- Company events
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site gym
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care
- Wellness program
Flexible Language Requirement:
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Supplemental pay types:
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-10-10