Come join our team! If you are looking for a career that is both challenging and rewarding, with an organization that values diversity, equity and a shared sense of purpose, look no further. We are proud to say that we’ve been recognized as one of BC’s Top Employers 2022 and 2023!
Our Unauthorized Practice (UAP) and Intake & Early Resolution (IER) department is seeking a full-time Paralegal for a 3-month term. The Paralegal provides litigation, administrative and research support to the Unauthorized Practice program staff lawyer and to the Unauthorized Practice Committee. This position also works as part of the Intake & Early Resolution team to support the effective investigation of complaints and inquiries from the public. The Paralegal works closely with lawyers and other staff in the Professional Regulation group.
The duties of this position include:
Unauthorized Practice (50%):
· Assisting and supporting Unauthorized Practice Counsel with investigation of unauthorized practice complaints and ensuing litigation, including drafting pleadings, affidavits and correspondence, interviewing witnesses and respondents, conducting legal research and assisting with hearing preparation.
· Conducting research, preparing agenda materials, gathering and preparing background materials, and drafting reports, memoranda and correspondence for the Unauthorized Practice group.
· Managing active unauthorized practice case files, including overall file maintenance, liaising with unauthorized practice counsel, and liaising with and directing the unauthorized practice assistant, as necessary.
· Intaking unauthorized practice complaints and inquiries from LSBC members and the public, and reviewing and responding to complaints and inquiries, with unauthorized practice counsel direction, as necessary.
· Such other duties as the Unauthorized Practice Director may assign.
Intake & Early Resolution (50%):
· Reviewing and analyzing complaint file materials to assist in identifying key documents, relevant issues and areas for further investigation;
· Reviewing and analyzing complaint file evidence and producing reports, chronologies and evidence summaries.
· Conducting legal research and preparing memos, including assisting in drafting legal opinions to the Discipline Committee;
· Assisting in gathering evidence for files including conducting online searches (e.g., BC Online, court registries, corporate records, BC LTSA, internet searches);
· Assisting the Intake Group where needed on Intake files to determine whether there are professional conduct or competency issues and preparing memos for staff lawyers.
· Contacting members of the public or Licensees where needed to clarify and discuss concerns and identifying relevant issues.
· Such other duties that the Chief Legal Officer and Director, Intake & Early Resolution and Practice Standards may assign.
· The completion of a Paralegal program supplemented by three to five years of experience in an investigative or litigation environment.
· Proficiency with computer software including Microsoft Office, case and document management programs such as iPro, database and knowledge management systems.
· Excellent legal research and writing skills.
· Excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal and analytical skills.
· Demonstrated ability to handle and effectively prioritize a high volume of work and to work well independently and within a team.
To apply, please visit our website at https://www.lawsociety.bc.ca/about-us/careers-at-the-law-society/job-postings/. The closing date for this competition is September 22, 2023. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
All Law Society employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless approved for an accommodation.
This position is located at the Law Society of British Columbia office in the Yaletown area of Vancouver, BC.
845 Cambie Street
Vancouver, British Columbia
Job Types: Full-time, Fixed term contract
Contract length: 3 months
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Vancouver, BC
Application deadline: 2023-09-22