POSITION TITLE: Media & Communications Worker
Start Date: April 15th – November 15th, 2019
Job Status: Part-time, short-term
Work Schedule: 1-2 shifts per week
Work Shift: Days, some evenings and weekends
The Media & Communications Worker is responsible for the creation and delivery of media publications and public communication tools that promote initiatives lead by the Haliburton, Kawartha Lakes, Northumberland (HKLN) Drug Strategy. Tasks include, but are not limited to, strategic media outreach, content development for web, print, and social platforms, and the development of effective communication tools.
The Drug Strategy uses a collaborative approach to reduce the stigma and harms associated with substance use in Haliburton County, the City of Kawartha Lakes, and Northumberland County. This position is for someone with lived experience of substance use, who also has a good understanding of the HKPR geography and service environment. The successful candidate will use their personal experience as a way of teaching, informing and connecting with others.
Working closely with the HKLN Drug Strategy Coordinator, the Media & Communications Worker will:
- Seek to understand the values and goals of the strategy, including the greater and more meaningful involvement of people who use drugs, 4-pillar and harm reduction approaches, inclusion, and the impact of determinants of health on individual choices and health outcomes.
- Assist in making adaptations to the strategy website to improve readability and usability by community members.
- Create and publish appropriate and relevant content for the website and social media platforms.
- Work in collaboration with other community partners to assist with the development and implementation of a community information-sharing tool.
- Meet weekly with the Coordinator to report on relevant activities.
In addition to the required lived experience, applicants must demonstrate how they meet the skills and qualifications outlined below.
You will have:
- Experience using the online publishing platform, WordPress, as well as other social media platforms (i.e., Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.).
- Strong computer and literacy skills.
- Good knowledge of social marketing and communication strategies.
- Good understanding of knowledge exchange strategies and how to effectively engage knowledge to improve health outcomes.
- Experience working with others to develop and implement community-based projects.
A competitive salary will be offered.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a single PDF document containing cover letter & resume, no later than 11 p.m. Sunday, March 10, 2019. PDF documents will be submitted to a Google Form https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdjKykn8GvEZskLFMqi40YLANb2-naRzULxYTLUIyVSodNzfA/viewform.
Your cover letter is an opportunity to really shine. The hiring team invites you to be bold! Provide us with a sense of who you are & what you have to offer our communities & the HKLN Drug Strategy. You may also wish to provide a copy of past work to showcase your media and communication skills.
Interviews will be held the week of March 18, 2019.
Thank you for your interest. '
PLEASE NOTE: Priority will be given to individuals who have demonstrated dependability, can reach priority populations and are able to commit to their weekly schedule of required work.
Job Type: Part-time