At the University of Manitoba our strength lies in our community — individuals who are driven by curiosity and work together to shape a better world.
Our commitment to discovery encompasses everything we do; from the education we offer students to the workplace we offer employees. Experience top benefits, world-class facilities and a community that inspires one another to carve their own path.
Recognized as one of Manitoba’s Top 25 Employers for nine consecutive years and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, UM is ready to help you take the next step in your career!
The Painter is responsible for painting and decorating work of all types, estimating material requirements for specific jobs and maintaining related records.
- Is required to do colour matching, mixing and tinting.
- Does plaster patching and repairs in general to surfaces which are to be painted.
- Applies all materials applicable to the trade and as required, works at heights on scaffolds, ladders and swing stages.
- Applies 54" wall coverings and wall paper.
- Sands and refinishes hardwood floors.
- Does furniture staining and finishing.
- Replaces sash cords only when glass requires repair; uses caulking compounds for specific applications.
- Records hours worked on work orders and daily time cards.
- Uses spray painting (including maintenance of) airless and conventional and H.V.L.P. units.
- Performs sign writing, stencil cutting and associated requirements.
- Estimates material and time requirements of jobs at request of supervisor.
- Works to design consultants colour schedules.
- Marks athletic facilities, e.g. Gymnasium Game Courts, Ice Arena, etc.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The qualifications and experience we’re looking for:
· Education to an acceptable level.
· Must possess a valid Certificate of Qualification as a Painter issued by the Manitoba Department of Labour.
· Must hold a valid Class 5 Manitoba Driver's License.
· At least eight years of related experience.
· The ability to work at heights on ladders, scaffolds or swing stages.
· Ability to supervise and relate well with helpers.
· Must adhere to all safety standards as established by the Physical Plant Department.
· Ability to work independently without close supervision.
· Capable of performing the duties as assigned.
· Satisfactory work record including attendance and punctuality is required.
· Will be required to provide satisfactory Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse / Vulnerable Persons Registry.
Why the University of Manitoba?
Along with being one of Manitoba’s top employers, we are proud to provide a collaborative and enriching work environment. In addition to a strong compensation package with a competitive salary, the University provides an exceptional workplace that includes:
· Group benefits and pension plan.
· Employee and Family Assistance Program.
· A full spectrum of professional development opportunities.
Apply today through the University of Manitoba’s career portal, UM Careers where you will find the full job specification: https://viprecprod.ad.umanitoba.ca/DEFAULT.ASPX?REQ_ID=15702
Closing Date: July 23, 2021
Applications will only be accepted if you apply on UM Careers.
The University of Manitoba is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from women, racialized persons, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual and gender identities, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
If you require accommodation supports during the recruitment process, please contact 204-474-7195. Please note this contact information is for accommodation reasons only.
Application materials, including letters of reference, will be handled in accordance with the protection of privacy provisions of "The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy" (Manitoba). Please note that curriculum vitae will be provided to participating members of the search process.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $55,875.95 per year
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Tuition reimbursement