With these two words, Vertex makes the promise that we will always be versatile in developing solutions to our clients’ unique needs and that we will always demonstrate expertise in our designated fields.
Since 1962, Vertex has been a leading North American provider of environmental services. With over 50 years of expertise, Vertex helps clients achieve their development goals through our versatile suite of services. From the initial site selection, consultation and regulatory approval, through the construction, operation and maintenance phases, to conclusion and environmental cleanup, Vertex offers a diverse range of services throughout the lifecycle of our clients’ projects.
Vertex is currently accepting applications for a full-time, permanent Senior Hydrologist located in Sherwood Park, Alberta. The successful candidate will showcase their skills in surface water resources management, along with collaborating with a team of senior scientists on multi-disciplinary projects. This is a great opportunity for a highly motivated individual, with a passion for surface water management and contributing to a strong team environment. This individual will possess an enthusiasm for motivating and mentoring others in the delivery of highly technical work.
- Post-secondary degree from an accredited college, university or technical school in Environmental Sciences, Geography or applicable Engineering discipline (including Water Resources, Civil or Environmental Engineering)
- Minimum 10 years of directly related experience, preferably with 6 as technical consultant directly related to hydrology, river engineering, water resources including experience in hydrology modelling and wetland monitoring programs, monitoring stations, water level surveys, flow measurements
- Eligibility for registration in or maintaining a good standing in a professional organization (e.g. P.Ag., P.Biol, P.Eng.) with formal training in hydrology
- Business development experience backed by a superior track record of building productive client relationships
- Experience preparing RFPs and proposals
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Excellent communication and technical reporting skills
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment
- Active participation in maintaining Vertex’s strong safety culture
- Design and prepare hydrologic monitoring programs, including hydrometric station installation, data logger programming, surveying, and streamflow measurement
- Perform hydrologic modelling
- Manage tasks and projects according to approved scopes of work, and produce high-quality technical deliverables on schedule and within budget
- Interact with a multidisciplinary team to assess potential project-related and/or climate change related impacts on water resources and environmental values. This may include supporting the coordination, implementation and/or evaluation of other water resource (e.g., climate, hydrogeologic, water quality) monitoring programs
- Provide advice to internal and external clients about groundwater/surface water interactions
- Understand and apply current and emerging environmental regulations, guidelines and best practices, and provide technical guidance to clients and liaise with government regulators regarding environmental monitoring, environmental permitting, and assessment
- Coordinate and oversee hydrology field programs and field staff
- Mentor junior hydrologist/water resource technicians responsible for conducting ongoing monitoring programs
- Preparation of technical correspondence, proposals, work plans, cost estimates, and reports
- Assist in the development of environmental impact assessments and monitoring plans
- Author and review technical reports
- Compensation is commensurate with education and experience
- A comprehensive benefit package is provided
- Potential for Employee RRSP Profit Sharing
- Learning and development opportunities
- A culture of performance and accountability
- A supportive and positive team environment
With a track record of success, Vertex provides a fast-paced environment where people thrive. We recognize that each member brings a valuable skill set to the Vertex team and we make health, safety, and community well-being a priority by supporting numerous endeavors at each of our locations across North America.
At Vertex, we value teamwork through collaboration and provide support across the entire organization. If you think you have what it takes to play for the Vertex team, please apply.
When applying, please indicate the following information on your application:
Job Requisition: 003-287
Job Title: Senior Hydrologist
Applications will be accepted until 11:59 p.m. MST on September 7, 2020. We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Reference ID: 003-287
Application deadline: 2020-09-07
Job Type: Full-time
- Extended Health Care
- RRSP Match
- 10 Hour Shift
- 12 Hour Shift
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19