Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week:
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
The Faculty of Health Sciences is a large, diverse, and comprehensive unit, comprised of six Schools (Nursing, Kinesiology, Health Studies, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Communication Sciences and Disorders), a large Interdisciplinary Graduate Program in Health and Rehabilitation Sciences and four Research Centres. The Faculty of Health Science’s mission is: “through transformative research and education, we will unleash innovative ideas and opportunities that enable living in health throughout the lifespan”. The Faculty has developed an aggressive and innovative strategic plan to achieve its vision to be a world leader in research and education in health.
Reporting to the Manager, Administration, the Administrative Assistant provides administrative support to the portfolios of the three Associate Deans, (Graduate & Postdoctoral Programs, Undergraduate Programs and Research), the Senior Leadership Team and Faculty Council. The role will coordinate the calendars of the Associate Deans and sends correspondence on their behalf, while also providing administrative support and coordination to several committees. The Administrative Assistant will maintain OWL sites for all committees, including policy decisions and proposal archives. In addition, the Administrative Assistant supports the administration of teaching and research awards and student scholarships and may assist with various events within each portfolio.
- 2 year Community College Degree in Business, Administrative Studies or a related field
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 4 years' experience providing administrative support to a senior leader within an academic environment
- Experience working with committee structures, preparing agendas, taking minutes and tracking action items
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and confidence dealing with all levels of the organization
- Strong attention to detail and ability to process information with high levels of accuracy
- Intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) and experience using OWL
- Working knowledge of Western policies and guidelines related to Undergraduate, Graduate and Research portfolios, program review schedules preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and take initiative and follow through on work assignments
- Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to manage activities both for self and others effectively
- Strong relationship management, influencing and collaboration skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and handle multiple conflicting priorities in a fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions
- Professional manner, tact, diplomacy and discretion in dealing with associates and colleagues including senior management
- Ability to apply active listening to hear and understand the complete message being communicated
- Competency to maintain confidentiality and treat sensitive information with discretion
- Ability to establish rapport with people from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to demonstrate patience and focus to complete detailed administrative tasks
- Ability to maintain a positive, outgoing attitude with genuine customer service orientation
Western welcomes applications from all qualified individuals; however, it is the university's policy to give first consideration to all qualified UWOSA applicants.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
Effective September 7, 2021, all employees and visitors to campus are required to comply with Western's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.