Job Number: 81578
Primary Location: Ontario-Hamilton
This position will be located at: McMaster University Medical Centre
Status: Temporary Full-time
Hours per week: 37.5
Number of Openings: 1
Union Code: OPSEU Local 273
Minimum Salary: 31.3071 Hourly
Maximum Salary: 43.2426
Post Date: May 6, 2020, 11:00:00 PM
Close Date (Period for Applying) - External: Ongoing
The Hamilton Regional Laboratory Medicine Program (HRLMP) is a collaborative program funded and operated jointly by the Hamilton Health Sciences and St. Joseph's Hospital The Program is committed to change and innovation, through education, service and research; to bring the highest quality science into health care for the benefit of the community; and to participate in the clinical application, delivery and interpretation of that science.
Under general supervision and direction, the Genetics Medical Laboratory Technologist performs a wide variety of laboratory procedures accurately, efficiently and safely while maintaining quality control and prioritizing workload.
Schedule Work Hours
Days, weekends and holidays as required
This role is temporary until June, 2021.
1. CMLTO Registration in good standing with endorsement in the disciplines of Cytogenetics and Molecular Genetics.
2. One year practical experience in a clinical Genetics laboratory.
3. Experience with computer database management and Laboratory Information Systems.
4. Proficient in isolating DNA and RNA from blood, fresh tissues, FFPE pathology samples, tissue culture cells, amniotic fluid cells and CVS tissue.
5. Proficient in molecular diagnostic techniques including gene amplification by PCR, Sanger sequencing, real-time PCR, array technology. NextGen sequencing experience.
6. Proficient in Cytogenetic diagnostic techniques including tissue culture, harvesting, slide making, chromosome analysis, F.I.S.H. and use of an image capture system.
7. Capable to perform ‘MLA’ role vacation coverage in the Genetics laboratory.
8. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
9. Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
Hamilton Health Sciences fosters a culture of patient and staff safety, whereby all employees are guided by our Mission, Vision, Values, and Values Based Code of Conduct. Hamilton Health Sciences is a teaching hospital and all staff and physicians are expected to support students and other learners.
To be considered for this opportunity applicants must apply during the posting period. All internal and external applicants may ONLY apply via the Careers website.
Hamilton Health Sciences is an equal opportunity employer and we will accommodate any needs under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Hiring processes will be modified to remove barriers to accommodate those with disabilities, if requested. Should any applicant require accommodation through the application processes, please contact HR Services at 905-521-2100, Ext. 46947 for assistance. If the applicant requires a specific accommodation because of a disability during an interview, the applicant will need to advise the hiring manager when scheduling the interview and the appropriate accommodations can be made.
This competition is open to all qualified applicants, however, qualified internal applicants will be considered first. Past performance will be considered as part of the selection process. If you are a previous employee of Hamilton Health Sciences, please note: the circumstances around an employee's exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment
Proficiency in both Official Languages, French and English, is considered an asset
If this position is temporary, selection for this position will be as per the outlined Collective Agreements:
Article 30 (k), CUPE Collective Agreement
Article 10.7 (d), ONA Collective Agreement
Article 13.01 (b) (ii), OPSEU 273 Collective Agreement
Article 14.04, OPSEU 209 Collective Agreement
Article 2.07 and Article 13, PIPSC RT Collective Agreement