Public Information Officer I
Job Number :
The Edmonton Police Service (EPS) has an exciting opportunity for a motivated, creative communications advisor with excellent written and verbal communication skills to work with Corporate Communications. This position will provide communications and public relations support to a variety of EPS’ community and youth programs and other EPS projects. The major responsibilities of this position include:
- Researching, planning, writing, editing, and/or contributing to internal and external communication products, such as newsletters, presentations, speeches, question and answer documents, fact sheets, brochures, annual reports, etc. for internal and external audiences.
- Participating in the release of information to the media, including writing news releases, occasionally acting as media contact on behalf of the EPS and preparing sworn and non-sworn EPS members for media interviews.
- Planning, organizing and executing media availabilities, including preparing key messages, backgrounders, etc. and briefing all participants.
- Contributing to the development of advertising or public service announcement campaigns for communication strategies developed by Corporate Communications. This includes assessing the needs of internal clients, developing advertising material to satisfy communication goals, and assisting with the development of ads and placement of media buys.
- Assisting with planning, managing and implementation of special events and community liaison initiatives.
- Developing content on the EPS internet and intranet sites in conjunction with internal and external partners.
- Performing other related duties as assigned.
Hours of Work:
- Diploma in a communications, public relations or related field.
- A minimum of two (2) years’ experience working in a communications, public relations or public information position.
- Media relations experience is not required, but would be considered an asset
- Demonstrated experience developing and implementing communication/public relations plans.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, as supported by a portfolio of previous work.
- Effective planning and organizational skills and able to work with minimum supervision.
- Practical experience in a police environment is an asset.
- Must be prepared to participate in competency testing.
- THE EDMONTON POLICE SERVICE WILL CONDUCT AN ENHANCED SECURITY CLEARANCE ON THOSE CANDIDATES WHO HAVE BEEN SHORT-LISTED.
33.75 hours per week, anytime between 0800 - 1600 hours, Monday - Friday. Hours of work may be subject to the terms and conditions of a variable-hour of work program. Must be available for unscheduled overtime work.
21M, Salary Grade:
017, $33.96 - $42.69 (Hourly), $2,292.30- $2,881.80 (Bi-Weekly), $59,829.03 - $75,216.15 (Annually). The rates quoted are in accordance with a collective agreement between the Union and the City of Edmonton that expired on December 28, 2018.
- Civic Service Union 52 members are asked to send a copy of their application to the union office.
- The City of Edmonton thanks applicants for their interest in this opportunity. Candidates considered for the position will be contacted.
- We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
The Province of Alberta is a party to the Federal Agreement on Internal Trade, the Trade, Investment and Labour Mobility with British Columbia and the New West Partnership Trade Agreement with British Columbia and Saskatchewan. All of these agreements promote labour mobility between the Provinces. Applicants may obtain information regarding recognition of extra provincial credentials at www.newwestpartnershiptrade.ca.
Classification Title :
Public Information Officer I
Posting Date :
Dec 4, 2019
Closing Date :
Dec 18, 2019 11:59:00 (MST)
Number of Openings (up to) :
1 - Permanent Full-time
Edmonton Police Service
Work Location(s) :
Police Headquarters, 9620 - 103A Ave
Position Public Information Officer I
Job Type External
Job Location Police Headquarters, 9620 - 103A Ave T5H 0H7