**Posting Deadline: Please submit your application by 11:59 PM PST, October 1, 2023**
Position Type: Permanent
Together, Let’s Do Great Things!
We’re the largest financial institution based on Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands, and we’ve got an opportunity for you. We need a Financial Accountant, so if you’re looking for an exciting growth opportunity and are passionate about accounting and finance operations, we want to hear from you!
This role provides the opportunity to work remotely from anywhere on Vancouver Island.
What’s the role?
As the Financial Accountant, you are responsible for preparing and providing quality financial information through analysis, financial statement presentation and review. The Financial Accountant completes regular accounting, reporting and reconciliations across all business lines. Together with peers in the accounting team, this position maintains records for centralized purchasing, capital asset tracking, GST/PST and corporate income tax filings; and supports administration of commissioned employment contracts. The Financial Accountant assists the AVP Finance with regulatory filing requirements, preparation of year-end working papers, and internal and external audit reviews. The Financial Accountant implements changes to ensure accuracy and efficiency in reporting, while providing support to others in the Finance department including mentoring junior staff.
What are we looking for?
- Completion of a Business Degree or Diploma with a specialization in Finance or Accounting, and working toward or possessing CPA accounting designation.
- Minimum five (5) years of progressive experience in an accounting/finance role.
- Solid understanding of financial statement presentation, full cycle accounting and internal controls.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel including pivot tables, lookup functions, and data management.
- Familiarity with IFRS reporting requirements and/or corporate income tax preparation is considered an asset.
- Previous experience with financial institution and/or insurance accounting is considered an asset.
Ideally, you are a flexible, collaborative team player with:
- High level of attention to detail and research skills – ability to effectively and accurately balance and report accounting transactions with minimal supervision. Ability to understand and interpret accounting transactions to ensure financial information is reliable and consistent.
- Strong critical thinking skills - uses logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Strong interpersonal skills – uses active listening to build rapport and understanding, asks questions as appropriate to gather information, and speaks to others to clarify and convey information effectively.
- Strong problem solving skills - has the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Strong accountability and dependability skills - takes personal responsibility for the quality and timeliness of work and achieves results with no oversight, including following guidelines, standards regulations and principles.
If you’re an approachable problem solver who embraces self-development and life-long learning, you’ll be a great fit with us.
What we offer you:
- Competitive salary
- A comprehensive benefits package including MSP, dental, and extended healthcare
- Employer paid RRSP benefit
- Ongoing support for education and career development
Who are we?
Since first forming in 1946, Coastal Community has grown to become the largest financial services provider based on Vancouver Island. We’re proud of the legacy we’ve built and the things that make us who we are:
- We’re 100% member-owned, with all decisions made locally—right here on Vancouver Island.
- We’re a growing organization with over $4 billion in assets under management. Coastal Community helps improve the financial health of over 100,000 members and clients through our 24 branches, 16 insurance offices, 4 business centres, plus our wide range of online and digital services.
- We believe in making meaningful contributions to the communities we call home. Each year, we give over half a million to community organizations and programs.
If you join us you’ll work hard, but have a lot of fun along the way. We offer a generous compensation package and a great work/life balance because we want you to spend your career here. Many people do!