Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
The Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry at Western University is a public, urban medical and dental school to serve the people of Southwestern Ontario. The School's mission is to provide medical and dental pre-and post-doctoral education programs.
At Schulich Dentistry, we prepare qualified graduates to provide dental care as well as generate knowledge through clinical research, basic science research and other scholarly activity. We also provide oral health care to the public through our on-site clinics and our community outreach programs, specifically, Dental Outreach Community Service (DOCS) and Oral Health, Total Health.
The Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry is looking for operating room suite aides within the new Dentistry Surgical Care Unit (DSCU). This new facility features two state of the art Operating Rooms, a Surgical Preparation Area and a Postoperative Care Unit. Staffed by Oral Surgeons, Anesthesiologists, Registered Nurses and other allied professionals, the unit is equipped to handle a variety of healthy patients on a same day basis. Current focus is on adult care with a pediatric program in the planning stages.
The Operating Suite Aide is responsible for maintaining the operating rooms according to Provincial Infectious Disease Advisory Committee (PIDAC). This includes but is not limited to disposing of linens, garbage, biohazardous waste, soiled instruments to the reprocessing area, maintaining operating room equipment and stocking of general supplies. The incumbent will assist the Registered Nurse with patient care as directed.
- Secondary School Diploma
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certificate
- Current First Aid Certificate
Skills, Abilities & Expertise:
- 2 years¿ experience related experience in an Operating Room Setting
- Previous knowledge of Provincial Infectious Disease Advisory Committee guidelines preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a manner that models best practices in confidentiality standards
- Ability to maintain a positive, outgoing attitude with genuine customer service orientation
- Personable and courteous in working relationships with colleagues and patients
- Ability to adhere to legislated safety requirements and Western safety policies
- Ability to effectively hear, understand and follow directions or instructions
- Ability to apply regulations to own work
- Ability to follow formal practices with high attention to detail
- Reliable with the consistent ability to work assigned shifts is paramount
- Ability to consistently use ergonomically sound processes and practices in accordance with Western's Rehabilitation Services assessments and Occupational Health & Safety guidelines while performing the following physical activities:
- Lifting: floor to waist - up to 20 lbs
- Lifting: waist to shoulder - up to 20 lbs
- Pushing and Pulling on a frequent basis
- Carrying on an frequent basis
- Bending on an occasional basis
- Standing and walking on a frequent basis
- Squatting on an occasional basis
- This position will be filled by reappointment.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.