Acting as a key hands-on resource and client liaison for events, the Assistant Manager, Productions will oversee staff resourcing and execution associated with USC events and those initiatives requiring technical support from the USC Productions department. The Assistant Manager, Productions will also ensure the delivery of excellent customer service and staff training. They will act in accordance with all USC and Western policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Recognizing that the position of Assistant Production Manager is a management position which embraces a broad range of roles and responsibilities, not all of which are capable of definition in a document of this type, the specified roles and responsibilities allocated to this position, for all the areas and activities under the position's control, are as follows:
- Oversee the coordination of staff for production and technical support for all USC functions
- Ensure that event setups, execution and tear-downs are completed in a timely and professional manner, working with the Manager, Productions; Coordinator, Production; Coordinator, Technical; Assistant Coordinator, Technical; and Manager, Infosource and Building Services.
- Ensure adequate staffing levels are in place to support event execution.
- Resolve problems and conflicts as they arise in a timely and efficient manner.
- Ability to multi-task/complete multiple projects at the same time.
- Oversees the technical staffing for the conference rooms.
- Develops and maintains technical services within conference rooms as well as for clubs, councils, and the like.
- Will not normally perform work of the Local 2820 Bargaining Unit.
- Responsible for complete execution of assigned events.
- Ensure events associated with the USC are provided the adequate amount of event management support, including the various USC Services.
- Ensure staff are adequately trained to review and execute all events proposed by external marketing companies in locations and venues under USC control.
- Train and motivate staff to provide excellent customer service.
- Navigate disciplinary situations up to and including termination.
- Schedule part-time staff to ensure full coverage of necessary events.
- Ensure part-time staff are working in accordance with all USC policies and procedures including any collective bargaining agreements in place.
- Works effectively under the constraints of a budget.
- Organizes all receipts and transactions in accordance with budget procedures.
- Works with the Manager, Productions to establish annual budgets, specifically in relation to staffing revenues and expenses.
- Develop and maintain operational awareness and understanding of acceptable levels of financial performance within those operations, and how these operations fit into the overall picture of the USC.
- Authority to hire, fire, promote, train, and discipline a part-time student staff contingent, as required, with anticipated growth into the supervision of full-time staff.
- Review and ensure compliance with part-time policies, including the completion and validation of any health and/or safety declarations.
- Working in conjunction with the Manager, Productions to adhere to budgets for all events, annual budget planning and contract negotiation.
- Provide quotes to the various faculty councils, clubs, programs, departments, and vendors that are using USC technical services.
- Understanding and operation of all USC audiovisual equipment resources.
- Thorough comprehension of function and operation of audio, lighting, and video equipment.
Other Duties as Assigned by Management.
- University or College Degree/Diploma in Technical Theatre production or equivalent.
- Equipment operating licenses or other technical certifications as required.
- Minimum of two (2) years’ experience working with audio, lighting and video equipment.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ demonstrated experience supervising staff, ideally in a unionized environment.
NOTE: MAY USE EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE
- Excellent audiovisual technical skills
- Strong customer service skills and background
- Proven supervisory and instructional skills
- Excellent organizational skills ideally with some basic Project Management experience
- Strong computer skills (database, lighting and sound software), including knowledge of the Google Suite
- Strong communication skills
- Flexible work schedule including weekends, late nights, and long hours.
- Workshop, office/administrative, nightclub/concert venues.
- May be exposed to dust, heat, fumes and excessive noise.
- Safety equipment, including steel toed shoes or boots, required for many tasks.
Manager, Productions; Coordinator, Production; Coordinator, Technical; Assistant Coordinator, Technical; and Manager, Infosource and Building Services.
Part-time Productions Crew staff
Cell Phone Stipend, Merit Pay, Professional Development, Discounts based on operations ie. Food at Wave/ Spoke
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $50,000.00-$65,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Store discount
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Night shift
Application deadline: 2022-05-29
Expected start date: 2022-07-04