Governed by the vision, mission and values of the Bowness Community Association the Facility & Arena Attendant is responsible for a wide range of tasks related to the operation and maintenance of the Bowness Community Centre and Arena. The facility includes a single sheet of ice, one of Calgary’s largest halls and a number of multi-purpose and office spaces. Key accountabilities include ensuring a positive customer experience, ice maintenance using the Olympia ice re-surfacer and maintaining a safe and clean facility for all user groups.
This position requires evening and/or weekend shifts depending on need and availability. A valid driver’s license, First Aid/AED/CPR certificate, WHMIS training and criminal and vulnerable sector record check may be required. This position offers a great work environment and is a great opportunity for experienced Facility Attendants or could be a great place to learn about facility and arena operations for entry level applicants.
Skills and Experience
- High School Diploma of GED
- Valid Alberta Class 5 Driver’s License with no more than 6 demerits points
- Motivated, ambitious and able to work independently
- Willingness to help in any way possible!
- Ability to communicate and work as a team member
- Previous Arena experience and/or RFP Arena Operator Level 1 an asset but not required
- First Aid /AED/ CPR/ WHMIS Certificate required and training provided
- Criminal Record and vulnerable sector check will be required
Accountabilities and Expectations:
- Provide exceptional customer service to guests of the Bowness Community Centre and Arena while ensuring guests follow the rules and regulations of the facility.
- Ensure the safety and security of the facility by complying with BCA Policies and Procedures at all times reporting all incidents to immediate supervisor and completing forms as required.
- Maintain arena ice surface by operating the ice re-surfacer (Olympia), electric ice edger, and other equipment to flood, shave, fill holes, measure ice thickness, etc.
- Do basic maintenance for entire facility including all areas used by public and secure areas. This includes painting, minor repairs, and preventative maintenance, etc.
- Complete general maintenance of outdoor property including grass field, parking lots, sidewalk and entrances. This includes mowing, trimming, leaf blowing, snow shoveling, ice removal, garbage removal, weeding, etc.
- Perform janitorial work including operating floor machine, cleaning showers and washrooms, and ensuring high standards of cleanliness at all entrances and all public spaces.
- Respond to emergencies including evacuation alarms, medical emergencies and other safety issues.
- Ensure cleanliness of rental spaces prior to and following rental use.
- Opening and closing of the facility including walking around the facility ensuring the security of the facility.
- Create positive experiences for user groups including opening doors for rentals in a timely fashion, ensuring dressing rooms are assigned accordingly, answering inquiries about the facility, handling complaints and conflict resolution.
- Be available for user groups by remaining on premises, in public view, and by facility cell phone as the contact person for all safety, security and facility concerns and needs.
- Communicate with other facility and BCA staff through the use facility schedules, the arena log book, reading meeting minutes and contacting supervisor with issues and information for other staff.
- Obtain payment and write receipts on occasion for unpaid ice and room rentals.
- Liaise with contractors, delivery personal, and plant maintenance personal when on shift to give access to various facility areas and receive and confirm order deliveries, etc.
- Assist in the preparation of events and programs including setting up and taking down tables and chairs, setting up the indoor playground, blocking parking lots, putting up event signage, etc.
- Support and assist in community projects and events whenever possible supporting volunteerism and community engagement.
- Suggest creative ideas that encourage positive experiences for user groups, staff and volunteers.
- Perform various other duties as assigned
Working conditions include working on slippery surfaces, outdoor weather conditions in summer and winter, and can be physically demanding including heavy lifting, shoveling and sweeping.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $18.00 to $22.00 /hour
- Arena attendant: 1 year (Required)