Jay Dee Canada has an immediate opening on the Coxwell Bypass Tunnel Project in Toronto, Ontario for an experienced Heavy Civil Construction – Mechanical Engineer.
This project consists of 10,340 Lineal Meters (33,924 L.F.) of 6.3 Meter (20.67 FT) ID tunnel, Shafts, Drop/Vent Shafts, Diversion Structures, Connecting Tunnels and Adits, and Consolidation Sewers. Projected construction duration is 5 years.
JOB SUMMARY: The Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for planning and directing all aspects of mechanical engineering activities for this project, including supplying structure calculations and design, analysis, and consulting services. The Mechanical Engineer works collaboratively with the project team to execute all technical engineering to achieve functionality, quality, cost, and schedule for the project.
PRINCIPAL FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for developing, testing, modifying, and creating solutions to mechanical related technical problems.
- Work collaboratively with project team to create and implement required mechanical systems, structures, and component designs.
- Assist with creating mechanical plans and secure technical quotes for systems, structures and components.
- Assist with modifications to existing equipment, systems, structures, and components; including creating AutoCAD drawings.
- Respond to requests for information, including analysis and recommendations.
- Prepare and present project documents including calculations, drawings, specifications, and reports.
- Responsible for engineering design reviews, ensuring fit, function, and accuracy of engineering
- Strategic thinking and experienced engineering judgment in anticipating and solving engineering problems, determining project objectives and requirements, organizing work, and developing standings and guidelines for engineering activities.
- Ensure compliance with safety standards related to mechanical systems, structures and components.
- Other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field from an CEAB accredited institution; or eight years of equivalent experience.
- Minimum 8-10 years of work experience in a field related to machine design, manufacturing, or maintenance including knowledge of equipment, hydraulic, and electrical systems; prior construction/heavy civil/tunneling related Mechanical Engineering experience preferred.
- Demonstrates logical problem-solving skills, including conceptual and analytical skills, with a proven track record of analyzing problems to determine the root cause.
- Strong project management skills with a demonstrated successful ability to handle multiple projects at one time and manage tight deadlines.
- Demonstrates high degree of creativity, foresight and judgment in planning, organizing, and guiding extensive engineering activities.
- Demonstrated successful ability to build positive partnerships and work collaboratively with Project Team, Owner, and Subcontractors.
- Strong interpersonal, decision making, and negotiation skills.
- Excellent verbal, written communication, and presentation skills.
- Experience and proficiency with AutoCAD or related programs.
- Proficient computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office software, including Word, Excel, Outlook, Project, Power Point and Internet Explorer.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk and is occasionally required to balance and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel in this classification. Duties and responsibilities may be added or changed as deemed appropriate by management at any time.
Jay Dee Canada is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Type: Full-time
- machine design, manufacturing, or maintenance: 8 years (Required)
- equipment, hydraulic, and electrical systems: 8 years (Required)
- AutoCAD or related program: 8 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)