Bonduelle is the current world leader in vegetable production. In Lethbridge, Bonduelle has a processing facility for frozen green peas and sweet corn which are grown and harvested in the Taber area. We are currently looking for 2 energetic summer students to be our seasonal crop scouts and European Corn Borer technicians, starting in May.
You will be based out of the Bonduelle Field Shop in Taber.
Job Duties Include
- Monitor the growth and development of both sweet corn and green pea fields via regular scouting
- Monitor and record maturity, disease and pest levels
- Monitor and report European Corn Borer populations by setting up traps in sweet corn fields
- Weekly management of insect traps to help determine timely pesticide applications
- Establish relationships with contracted growers by helping deliver seed and by reporting weekly pest counts
- GPS planted acres using a handheld GPS and quad
- Gather corn and pea samples to determine when the crop is ready for harvest
- Help hire, build up and train harvest crews
- Maintain well organized records in Bonduelle’s Ag database, excel and word
- Maintain communication with field staff, harvesting crews and field mechanics
You will become familiar with local agricultural practices including crop management, the growth cycles of peas and corn, irrigation practices, local pests and diseases and custom harvest operations. You will work closely with the Agriculture manager and technician. You will be offered a competitive salary, a company vehicle and the opportunity to be involved in a unique, exciting field of agriculture in Southern Alberta.
- Must be able to work independently and with a team
- Be physically fit and comfortable working outdoors
- Drivers license for use of company truck, quad and pea combine
- Must be able to work some weekends
Job Type: Temporary
Salary: $20.00 /hour
- Agriculture: 1 year (Required)
- Secondary School (Required)
- Taber, AB (Preferred)
- Drivers License (Class 5) (Required)