The Root Cellar is a locally owned and operated green grocer in Victoria, B.C. with a focus on sustainability and farm fresh food. In addition to providing the largest selection of fresh produce on Vancouver Island, we also offer a curated selection of grocery items, a full-service deli and butcher shop, an extensive garden centre, and our very own Coffee Project.
We are currently looking for an Assistant Deli Manager to join our Chop Shop Deli team. Our Deli department offers a wide range of traditional delicatessen meats and cheeses, and a variety of house made fresh meal solutions. The ideal candidate will have a passion for food and enjoy providing our customers with advice and ideas on pairing options to create wholesome, healthy meals.
What you’ll do:
- Assist the Deli Manager in managing and merchandising the department for maximum productivity and profit, and strict adherence to all food handling procedures and safety protocols.
- Effectively coordinate production, merchandising, and sales through ongoing planning, direction, goal setting, communication, and teamwork.
- Oversee and participate in the training and development of the Deli team to maintain the highest level of team productivity, enthusing and commitment to outstanding customer service.
- Develop strategies with the Management Team to ensure that the profit and sales goals of the department are achieved.
- Handle all customer concerns and complaints in an effective and positive manner.
- Maintain store and display signage to the set standards.
- Effectively respond to challenging situations in a positive and professional manner including providing solutions and proposing new ideas.
What you'll have:
- 1-2 years of retail management experience, preferably in a deli or food speciality environment.
- Demonstrated outstanding leadership and a passion for motivating and developing an effective team.
- Exceptional organizational skills, the ability to manage time efficiently and adapt to changing priorities while working in a high-volume environment.
- The physical ability to stand for long periods of time and lift 25-50 pounds repeatedly.
- Full-time availability and a flexible schedule including mornings, evenings, and weekends.
What you can expect from us:
- An opportunity to work in a fresh and innovative destination market providing extraordinary food experiences.
- A competitive compensation package.
- A robust benefits program.
- Employee and Family Assistance Program
- 20% in-store discount on purchases.
If you are interested in joining our team, please submit your resume in person to the Root Cellar at 1286 McKenzie Ave between 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM weekdays.
We look forward to meeting you!
Job Type: Full-time
- Food Service Management: 1 year (Preferred)