- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations
- Meet one or more of the following requirements: an indigenous student, a student whom is a member of a visible minority, or a student whom is a new immigrant/refugee.
- Post-secondary education in relevant biological field or equivalent combination of related training and experience required.
- Current experience and knowledge of natural history, principles of animal behavior, nutrition and general animal husbandry required.
- Must demonstrate excellent public speaking skills, time management skills, including flexibility, creativity, and responsibility in use of time.
- Experience with multiple taxonomic groups (e.g., carnivores, birds, hoof stock, reptiles) preferred.
Perform daily duties as assigned:
- Oversee guest interaction in farmyard area. Communicate with and assist guests. Take initiative to facilitate guests’ appreciation of animals and enjoyment of their visit.
- Distribute food as directed, observe assigned animals closely, routinely, and objectively report to manager on their behavior, health, and welfare.
- Maintain and utilize records and follow established routines and procedures.
- Observe condition of assigned area(s), animal enclosures, and equipment and report relevant information as appropriate.
- Clean animal enclosures, pools, and service areas as assigned.
- Communicate with and assist guests. Participate in public demonstrations. Take initiative to facilitate guests’ appreciation of animals and enjoyment of their visit.
- Train and direct work of volunteers.
This is a temporary position. Schedule will vary. Must be willing to work weekends and holidays, and have the ability to lift up to 75 lbs.
Start Date: June 2017 (TBD)
Starting Wage: $13.85
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $13.85 /hour
- Animal Care: 1 year (Preferred)