Experienced Asphalt Field Technician
ParklandGEO is NOW hiring an experienced Asphalt materials testing technician for the construction season to start May 2019.
Personal Qualities for a Successful Work Experience:
- Experienced, conscientious, competent drivers with valid driver’s license to drive company trucks to remote locations over rugged terrain.
- Able to provide a clean driver’s abstract.
- Personal insured vehicle to get you to and from home office.
- Willing and able to work and travel long distances from both home and office staying overnight for days or weeks at a time.
- Placement could include a camp placement or alone in rural small town motels.
- Capable of working and traveling alone to and from client locations and working alone on client sites for short and long durations of time.
- Must be flexible to meet the demands of our clients in the short construction season which is weather dependent.
- Willing to work in all climates understanding that long sunny days mean long work days.
- Days or weeks with heavy rain or high winds could mean no work hours that day or week.
- Physically capable and willing to work long hours, regularly working weekends and statutory holidays dependent on the client project schedule and upon needs of the client.
- Field Technicians must be able to work out of town for the duration of the client projects.
- Comfortable wearing protective personal equipment (PPE) all day and getting dirty on the job with wear and tear on your clothing and gear.
- Capable of handling heavy equipment.
- Good command of the English language both speaking and writing at a high technical level for written presentation on daily forms paperwork including email communication and oral ability to speak conversationally and informatively with clients, subcontractors, co-workers and management.
- Strong computer skills for daily data entry.
- Must have coping skills where you can manage without your cell phone on worksites due to tower reception or site restrictions or management directions.
- Capable of reading road signs and road maps when GPS is not an option.
- Summer construction is our busiest time of the year and for this reason we are unable to accommodate requests for time off outside of prescheduled rest days.
Field Technicians may perform materials testing duties which include:
- emphasis on asphalt materials testing for the upcoming season and reoccurring each year
- quality assurance/control testing of various construction materials such as soils, asphalt, and concrete
- limited report writing responsibilities in line with your level of experience
- use of geotechnical design, analysis and computer modeling programs
- limited design work of roads & highways, site grading and drainage
- lab testing – asphalt, concrete, sieves, proctors
- field inspections and surveying
- vibration monitoring
- compaction testing
- concrete testing
- pile monitoring
Consideration will be given to applicants who have completed the Civil Engineering Technologist program at SAIST. We are looking for, local to Estevan, experienced asphalt technicians with integrity and dedication. Minimum two years asphalt experience. Must provide a 5-year driver’s abstract upon request. Preference will be given to applicants with current safety tickets in WHMIS 2015, CSTS-09, and First Aid/CPR.
Field Technician wages are dependent on relevant construction experience and related post secondary education. Hours will fluctuate and there is potential for large amounts of overtime at 1.5 times the regular hourly rate.
ParklandGEO has offices in Fort McMurray, Red Deer, Calgary, Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Estevan, Grande Prairie, Peace River and Sherwood Park. ParklandGEO prides itself in its dedication in training junior staff in the technical aspects of their chosen field as well as encouraging ethical standards and promoting a healthy work environment to enable employees to become leaders in industry. Check us out at www.parklandgeo.com.
Our client list ranges from individual home owners to international corporations and includes agricultural operators, land developers, local contractors, civil engineering consultants and all levels of government.
The amount of project work is dependent on the project availability and the weather including the number of daylight hours. We are looking for local Estevan and area applicants. If you have an interest in expanding your knowledge and want to expand your experience in asphalt materials testing we welcome your application. Please submit your current resume in confidence using MS Word or a PDF format listing education, asphalt related skill-set, and current safety tickets to Human Resources.
Wanted – Experienced Field Technicians – Apply Now
Job Type: Full-time
- Materials Testing: 3 years (Required)
- asphalt: 1 year (Required)
- Estevan, SK (Required)
- First Aid, WHMIS, and other related safety tickets (Preferred)
- Class 5 Drivers (Required)
- English (Required)