Dining Room Server/Front Desk Clerk - Casual/On Call
$16.25/hour + 9% (in lieu of benefits) = $17.71/hour
M’akola Housing Society –Jesken Aerie Assisted Living - Langford, BC
M’akola Housing Society (MHS) is an Indigenous housing provider committed to supporting vibrant, diverse communities in British Columbia for over 30 years. Our portfolio spans the province comprising over 1,600 units and involves property management, asset management and assisted living. At MHS, we have energetic and engaged teams. Each member brings a unique approach and skillset, and together we are committed to delivering high-quality service to our residents.
Jesken Aerie Assisted Living provides a positive, supportive environment for the Residents who make Jesken Aerie their home.
M’akola offers the following:
· Flexible work schedule
· Potential for full-time employment
· Great team-work environment
· Opportunity to work up to full time
As a Dining Room Server, you will be under the supervision of the Kitchen Supervisor and are responsible for ensuring that residents of Jesken Aerie are provided with a professional dining room experience. The successful candidate will be responsible for a wide range of tasks but not limited to the maintenance and cleanliness of the dining room and common areas, serving two meals per day, and assisting with set-up and clean-up after recreational activities.
The Front Desk is responsible for the health and safety protocol for the Resident Emergency pendant system and maintains a secure building. The Front Desk Clerk provides administrative service for telephone calls, reports, logs, correspondence, internal and external requests as well as providing hospitality services. The Front Desk Clerk works cooperatively in a team environment to provide prompt, thorough and accurate service taking responsibility for seeing tasks through to completion.
The Casual Dining Room Server/Front Desk Clerk is assigned work as required based on changing business needs and priorities. Casual, on-call shifts are offered from Monday – Sunday, 10am – 6pm for Dining Room Server and 8am-4pm, 4pm-12am, 12am-8am (premium rate for this shift) for the Front Desk Clerk position.
Dining Room Server
· Ensuring that serving station area is washed down and sanitized several times per day;
· Setting up the dining room prior to meal service;
· Serving lunch and dinner;
· Maintaining an awareness of resident’s food allergies and specialty diets including any physical disabilities;
· Administering First Aid to Residents in the case of an incident during meal time;
· Maintaining resident and staff confidentiality;
· Following dress code policy guidelines;
· Ensuring compliance with all Food Safe guidelines in the handling and storage of all food supplies;
· Other related duties as may be required
· Welcome all incoming guests and residents and answer inquiries of both residents and guests
· Answering the telephone, transferring calls and taking messages for all departments
· Responding to staff calling in sick and scheduling replacement personnel
· Ensure accurate and timely completion of all documentation assigned or required
in the course of duties including documenting in the communication log and
· Ensure the safety of the building and residents by monitoring security cameras, documenting all incidents, responding to resident medical alarms, and administer First Aid to residents and staff when appropriate, assist with evacuating the building during an emergency,
· Setting up and arranging evening activities as required
Required Knowledge and Skills
· Strong time management, multi-tasking and organizational skills;
· Exhibit strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to display tact, respect and diplomacy;
· Ability to take direction and follow procedures;
· Knowledge to respond effectively and calmly in crisis situations;
· Capable of being socially sensitive to Indigenous issues and concerns;
· Good conflict resolution skills and the ability to demonstrate patience and tolerance and exercise tact, diplomacy and good judgement
· Knowledge of an Assisted Living environment would be an asset
· Ability to plan, meet deadlines and adapt to critical priorities in an environment with competing priorities without compromising the quality of work
· Ability to work independently, yet contribute and co-operate in a team environment
· Sound knowledge of general office procedures and systems
· Detail oriented with ability to maintain quality standards
· Good working knowledge of computer applications including MS Word, Excel, and Outlook, and ability to manoeuvre between applications with ease
· Grade 12 or equivalent
· Courses or training in customer service; office systems and procedures
· 1- 2 years’ of experience working in a high-volume dining room or office environment preferably in a congregate/assisted living setting;
· Occupational Level 1 first aid certificate
· Food Safe 1
· Criminal Record Check
· Experience in and with the Indigenous community would be an asset
We hire employees of all cultures including Inuit, Metis, Indigenous, status, non-status, and non-Indigenous.
Preference will be given to applicants of Indigenous ancestry (please self-identify) as per Section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code.
Please submit your Resume and Cover Letter to humanresources'@'makola.bc.ca
In subject line indicate: Dining Room Server/Front Desk Clerk and your name
Closing Date: June 28, 2019 @ midnight
Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
For statistical purposes please indicate where you saw this job posting i.e. job site, email etc.
Job Type: Casual
- Serving: 1 year (Preferred)
- WHMIS (Preferred)
- FoodSafe Level 1 (Preferred)
- OFA 1 (Preferred)