Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week:
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
The Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry provides outstanding education within a research-intensive, distributed learning environment where tomorrow’s physicians, dentists, health researchers and other scholars learn to shape the future of healthcare in our community and around the world. With a goal of becoming a global leader in optimizing lifelong health through innovation in education, research and active engagement with our community, it is a very exciting time to join our exceptional team of alumni relations and development professionals.
Alumni Relations & Development plays a leading role in strengthening awareness of and support for the University’s mission and goals. The department seeks to build enduring alumni and public trust through understanding and support for Western University through a coordinated campus-wide effort.
The Alumni Engagement Officer position is a key role in the Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, the Office of the Dean and the department of Alumni Relations & Development. The Alumni Engagement Officer is responsible for the full scope of alumni activities, fostering lifelong relationships and engagement. This is achieved through the design, implementation, evaluation and management of effective and innovative alumni engagement strategies supporting the goals of the department. The activities conducted by the Alumni Engagement Officer match Schulich Medicine & Dentistry and the University’s academic, alumni and community engagement objectives.
The Alumni Engagement Officer will research and deliver best practices for creating meaningful engagement with recent alumni and current students through targeted programming, communications and digital engagement strategie, and will also provide select recognition and stewardship to faculty donors.
This position works closely with individuals, committees and councils; as well as staff in the department of Advancement and across the Faculty.
- University Degree
- Honours Degree in Business Administration, Marketing, Communications or Public Relations would be preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 5 years' experience in program or event planning
- Experience with project management
- Experience with alumni relations, fundraising, and digital engagement is preferred
- Familiarity with event management techniques and tools
- Ability to interact and work effectively with people from different cultures and backgrounds
- Ability to analyze metrics and consider past communications to craft engaging written communications using social media or other appropriate channels
- Ability to apply creativity and recommend strategies to engagement initiatives
- Self-driven, critical thinker who is highly skilled at anticipating and resolving stakeholder relation issues
- Detail-oriented with an ability to function and process information with high levels of accuracy
- Ability to remain highly motivated, resilient, innovative, and collaborative when faced with challenges
- Ability to work within a flexible schedule to accommodate the School’s events and acitivities
- Intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong project management skills and the ability to manage multiple projects at once from conception to completion with tightly prescribed timelines
- Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to manage activities both for self and others effectively
- A well defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, conflict resolution and people management skills
- Flexible, resourceful, creative and pro-active work style with a can-do, enthusiastic attitude
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.