Position Available: Database Systems Engineer, BI
Status: Regular Full-Time (37.5 hours per week)
Department: Information Technology
Shifts: Days (Monday-Friday. Hours of work subject to change)
ABOUT JOSEPH BRANT HOSPITAL:
Joseph Brant Hospital (JBH) is a full-service community teaching hospital located in the growing and thriving community of Burlington, Ontario, serving more than 185,000 residents in Halton, Hamilton, Waterdown, Flamborough, Milton and Stoney Creek. JBH is honoured to be recognized as one of Hamilton Niagara’s Top Employers for five (5) consecutive years, with a skilled staff of 194 physicians, 1,911 full- and part-time staff and more than 700 volunteers.
JBH is a Clinical Education site in conjunction with McMaster University, and designated as an Academic Community Teaching Hospital. Its expanded campus includes the state-of-art Michael Lee-Chin & Family Patient Tower, featuring a new Emergency Department, 172 acute inpatient beds, 9 new Operating Rooms and post-anaesthetic care unit to support expanded medical, surgical and outpatient services. JBH is also a partner member of the Burlington Ontario Health Team (OHT).
JBH inspires and empowers a culture of caring and this is demonstrated in many ways including our commitment to the health, safety and wellbeing of our people. For more information, visit www.josephbranthospital.ca.
Joseph Brant Hospital is looking for seasoned data engineer with experience in healthcare data. The ideal candidate must have formal training in computer science and database fields, previous work experience in software development, database programming, experience with several DBMSs, data modeling and data integration software, and a passion for data, service and for building useful data systems, and strong skills in Power BI. The Data Engineer, Power BI Developer will implement new BI solutions to help JBH harness our data to support smarter decisions about how we serve our patients and efficiently operate our hospital.
- Lead BI software development, deployment, and maintenance
- Translate business requirements for BI work into technical ones
- Participate in data warehouse design
- Perform data modeling
- Explore complex schemas and data tables to understand data semantics or identify data quality issues
- Write queries, scripts and create to report to assess integrity and ensure data quality
- Document contents in a data warehouse and meta-data storage
- Creating technical documentation for BI tools
- Assist in design and development of database applications
- Develop queries, scripts, stored procedures to support application development
- Provide technical assistance to resolve database issues related to performance, capacity and access
- Develop data extraction, transformation, and loading (ETL) programs to populate data warehouses or other data integration tasks
- Create database schema documentation and maintain data dictionaries and master data
- Identify and rectify database errors in a timely manner
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary team members including users, subject matter experts, and other IT specialists
- Promote good data management practices and share knowledge with colleagues;
- Practice agile development thinking
- Elicit requirements from stakeholders across the organization
- Integrates data from multiple disparate and complex source systems from all areas of hospital operations to implement a leading analytics platform for data visualization
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or related engineering field is required
- Minimum of 3-5 years of clinically relevant experience in either direct patient care, health care management or information management
- Expert in the fields of data management, database theory, relational database design is required
- Solid knowledge of RDBMS technology and DBA level skills in one DBMS, preferably in Microsoft SQL Server
- Experience with a variety of business intelligence tool with expertise in Power BI is required
- Solid knowledge of MS SQL Server and SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
- Good programming skills. Experience in web development and/or Python is desired
- Solid understanding of data warehouse principles and dimensional models
- General understanding of the healthcare data domain
- General understanding of distributed computing architectures, e.g. client–server model and web technology
- Ability to exercise independent judgement, make recommendations and mentor other team members on data presentation best practices
- Ability to meet, prioritize and manage multiple simultaneous tasks and deadlines
To be considered for this exciting opportunity please visit the JBH Careers page to apply to posting #201137. We ask that you please include the posting number in the subject line of any email correspondence. No phone calls please. We thank all applicants and only those selected for interview will be contacted.
Any information obtained during the recruitment process will be used for employment recruitment only, and not for any other purpose.
JBH is committed to and supports practices that are inclusive. HR will accommodate any needs under the Ontario Human Right Code (OHRC) and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Recruitment processes will be modified to remove barriers to accommodate those with disabilities, if requested.
Reference ID: #201137
Application deadline: 2021-02-06
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday