We respectfully acknowledge that we live and work on the traditional, unceded territory of the Okanagan Syilx People.
We’re looking for an experienced Legal Assistant to join our Kidston team. This is a full-time position to join our growing team.
Kidston Helm Ross Lawyers is a full-service law firm specializing in personal injury, estate litigation, insurance disputes, employment law, real estate and business law, and First Nations law. Kidston Helm Ross Lawyers is a leader in legal services in the Okanagan Valley. The lawyers of Kidston Helm Ross and our support staff bring honesty, trust, and respect to every interaction with our clients and to one another.
As a Legal Assistant, you will work closely with our team of Paralegals and Lawyers. We are looking for a detailed oriented person, who thrives in a busy environment and is a team player.
- Proactively manage workflow, deadlines, and documents to ensure the lawyers are supported
- Perform Litigation Assistant responsibilities from file opening to closing
- Review incoming correspondence and draft responses
- Manage incoming workflow from a team of lawyers/paralegal
- Draft pleadings, correspondence and related documents
- Schedule appointments, trial, examination for discoveries, IMEs and related calendar management
- Maintain file organization
- Maintain bring forward system and court diary
- Handle associated legal administrative assistant tasks
- Support lawyers and other staff
THE EXPERIENCE YOU BRING:
- Previous Litigation experience
- Post-secondary education from a recognized Legal Assistant/Paralegal program
- Highly reliable and possesses professional demeanor
- Experience with car accident claims is an asset
- Strong working knowledge of court rules and procedures
- Exhibit attention to detail and is committed to producing accurate and high-quality work
- Ability to organize, prioritize work and meet deadlines with a high degree of personal initiative
- Must be able to handle confidential information in an ethical and professional manner
- Ability to work efficiently as a part of a team as well as independently
- Strong customer service and relationship building skills
- Readily adapt to changing priorities and effectively work in a changing, high-volume work environment
- Possess problem solving skills with a proactive mindset
- The interview process includes:
- Remote 30-minute phone interview with Laurel Swan (she/her), HR Advisor.
- In person or remote 60-minute video interview with Laurel Swan (she/her), HR Advisor and Robert Ross (he/him), Managing Partner.
- Conduct reference and security checks.
Salary Range: $50,000 – $65,000
Start Date: Flexible
Perks at The Kidston Helm Ross Lawyers:
- Flexible time off including three weeks of vacation, sick days, and additional flex time throughout the year – all paid!
- Health benefits including medical coverage, dental coverage, and a health spending account including mental health.
- Continuing education opportunities.
- A hybrid work environment.
- Sponsored firm social events
Kidston Helm Ross Lawyers is committed to a fair and equitable hiring process for all candidates. To ensure that each candidate’s journey is consistent and the selection process is unbiased, the hiring managers and team members will not respond to any personal messages regarding this role or other opportunities.
We do not use fancy tech to search through resumes at Kidston Helm Ross; every resume is reviewed by a human to ensure that we attain a consistent and equitable interview process. We look forward to seeing your application!
Kidston Helm Ross is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer committed to fostering an equitable, inclusive, and accessible workplace for all. We believe that candidates with disabilities have the right to accessible accommodations throughout the hiring process. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out! We encourage applications from all qualified candidates, including those with disabilities. If you require any accommodations, please email [email protected] and we will work with you to meet your needs. Accommodation may be provided in all parts of the hiring process. We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives to apply.
INCLUSIVITY AT KIDSTON HELM ROSS:
Kidston Helm Ross is committed to building a transparent environment where everyone feels heard, welcomed, and included. We believe Diversity, Inclusion, & Belonging are fundamental in our vision to create a better and more inclusive future. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, Black people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.