Job Title Research Associate (Research Assistant)
Rank Research Assistant
Our lab seeks a highly motivated individual with a strong computational background to work at the interface of neuroscience and machine learning. We are especially interested in the application of deep neural networks to improve our understanding of neuronal data, and the application of recent neuroscience findings to improve the performance of deep neural networks. In our lab we also record the activity of hundreds of neurons in normal and epileptic animals, and the successful candidate is welcome to participate in those projects. Preferred candidate should have strong background in modeling neurons and networks, and should be very familiar with models of synaptic plasticity (e.g. BCM).
Our lab at the Canadian Centre for Behavioural Neuroscience in the University of Lethbridge is located in the sunniest area of Canada and next to scenic Rocky Mountains. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. For more information please visit our website at: http://lethbridgebraindynamics.com/artur_luczak.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Conduct research and literature reviews, in related topics for use in scholarly publications.
- Compile research results and assist professors in the analysis of results and the preparation of journal articles or papers.
- Analyze data using statistics, programming techniques and artificial neural networks.
- Develop analytical methods in biologically plausible artificial neural networks.
- Participate in scientific discussion groups and seminars.
All duties and responsibilities shall be carried out under the supervision of Prof. Artur Luczak.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Master degree’s in neuroscience, physics, computer science or related topics.
- 3 years of related research work experience.
- Having strong background in modeling neurons and networks, and should be very familiar with models of synaptic plasticity.
- Familiarity with epilepsy is an asset
- Highly experienced in programming with Python and Matlab.
- Ability to work with data, applying machine learning methods and deep learning.
- Working with computer clusters and cloud computing.
- Excellent communication and team work skills.
Work in an office with a computer provided.
Hours of Work:
Full-time, 30-32 hours per week.
one year with the opportunity for extension
Standard benefits including Extended Health, Dental, EFAP, Life Insurance and Long Term Disability
Faculty Faculty of Arts & Science