Language Skill Levels (Read/Write/Speak):
$74852.60 to $93565.75
Permanent Full Time
We’re not your typical government agency
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) exists for a single reason: to make housing affordable for everyone in Canada. We’re mobilizing the expertise and energy of governments, non-profits, lenders, developers, social entrepreneurs and co-ops to create the future of housing. At CMHC, we believe that everyone in Canada should have a place to call home.
Experience a Results-Only Work Environment™ (ROWE™)
At CMHC, we trust you to get the job done. We’ve shifted from managing people to managing work. Each employee is 100% autonomous and 100% accountable. You can choose where you need to be and when you need to be there to meet your objectives. You’re in control of your time and are trusted to make the right decisions.
This position reports to the Indigenous and Legacy Social Housing team in our in our Office of VP, Risk Mgmt, Strat. & Prod. (10422), Office of the SVP, Client Solutions sector. This sector is the glue that fosters collaboration between Client Solutions and Client Operations and encourages a client-centric mindset
About the role
We’re constantly evolving to build an inclusive housing system through research, design, innovation and partnerships. You will provide research, analysis and guidance to respond to changing issues and trends in CMHC’s operating environment and contribute to new policies, products, services and systems by ensuring that client needs are met throughout the process. You will support the activities required to help the Insurance sector focus its energy on common goals in a disciplined effort to produce fundamental decisions and actions that will shape and guide what CMHC does now and in the future. This will help us make housing affordable for everyone in Canada.
What you will need
- Undergraduate degree in business, economics, finance or a related field.
- Minimum of five years of experience with increasing responsibility in research, analysis and/or policy development.
- Thorough understanding of mortgage instruments and the mortgage industry.
- Knowledge of mortgage insurance operations, processes, underwriting, claims processing, real estate, insurance risk analysis, real estate, and market housing programs.
- Ability to take initiative and work in a multi-team environment or independently.
- Demonstrated ability to apply problem-solving techniques and conduct data analysis.
- Proven ability to think strategically, develop, and implement strategic plans and initiatives.
- Strong oral and written communication skills including presentation skills; ability to draft understandable, clear and consistent documents on topics within the areas of responsibility and to explain the content to a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to influence at multiple levels of the organization.
- Strong knowledge of the commercial or multi residential mortgage lending, mortgage servicing/ underwriting and housing policy would be an asset
- Bilingualism (French and English) is a strong asset
What you will be doing
- Conduct research and analysis and prepare briefing notes, management submissions and correspondence to respond to requests and concerns ensuring an accurate and timely corporate position.
- Develop well-reasoned and cost-effective solutions to problems related to the sale, pricing, and initiation or servicing of products and services.
- Gather information on what other companies are doing to identify potential issues that will impact CMHC customers and liaise with clients and other departments to clarify issues and identify opportunities for improvement.
Development/Improvement of Policies, Products and Services
- Provide research and analytical services, using computer-based tools and skills, during both the early exploratory phases of projects and frequently as part of multidisciplinary teams.
- Solicit input from stakeholders and clients on issues affecting current products and identify opportunities for new/revised products, policies, services and systems and conduct continuous scanning of the internal and external environment to identify innovative products and methods and assess their applicability to CMHC.
- Ensure that all options and impacts have been addressed and that results are correct, complete and of high quality and delivered within the client's timeframe.
Provide project planning, management and measurement skills and techniques to teams and apply techniques to individual projects.
- Ensure a consistent approach to project evaluation, taking into consideration product/market research on new options; assessment of the technological, economic and demographic environment; risk management research and analysis; market segmentation analysis; risk and marketing pricing; marketing and communications plans; cost benefit, revenue, organizational and public policy impact analysis; implementation plans; and details of business requirements for system changes.
Business Planning and Measurement
- Liaise with stakeholders and staff to collect information in support of the quarterly, annual and ad hoc financial and performance reporting and analysis to management and the Board of Directors.
- Work with other stakeholders to gain an understanding of the business drivers and assumptions that underpin financial results and identify improvements or modifications to analysis and reports to meet changing reporting requirements.
- Coordinate the development of inputs to the Corporate Plan, Corporate Plan Summary and Annual Report.
- Measure the quality of the results of new or modified products, services, systems and policies in relation to internal and external client requirements to ensure that client needs are met.
- Ensure analysis and recommendations are undertaken within the corporate risk appetite and risk mitigation and/or controls are identified.
- Assist management in the development of the strategic direction for the sector, including development of an environmental scan, monitoring of emerging trends and issues, and analysis of the impacts of existing and new industry regulations and legislation on CMHC’s practices and policies.
- Conduct competitive analysis and make recommendations to improve and sustain CMHC’s position in the marketplace and undertake research into opportunities to better serve relatively underserved populations.
People Leadership (Human Relations Skills)
- Understanding, influencing and/or serving people are important considerations in causing actions or acceptance by others.
Does this sound like you?
Click the “apply now” button and create an account (it should take about 30 seconds). We’re excited to hear from you!
Posting closing date:
February 5, 2020 @ 11:59 pm EST (Note, the competition may remain active until filled)
Job Requisition ID:
Position can be located anywhere in Canada
Travel not required
We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted.
CMHC is an employer that values diversity and encourages the learning and use of both Canada's official languages. CMHC is committed to employment equity and actively encourages application from women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities
- If selected for an interview or testing, please advise us if you require an accommodation.