Services and Housing In the Province (SHIP) is a Provincial leader in the broader public sector that builds strategic partnerships and programs that support the fundamental rights for Housing and Health Services throughout the Peel Region, Dufferin County, and surrounding areas.
Our commitment to increase quality of life through health services and housing supports that promote mental and physical health and wellness is at the forefront of every employee we hire. We value compassion, hope, inclusiveness, respect, and professionalism.
Our organization has supported the region for over 35 years and employs over 450 passionately engaged employees ranging from office administration, nurses, and service health specialists to housing specialists all dedicated to the community, clients, and families.
Reporting to the program manager, we are currently looking for a Trauma Specialist who will be responsible for supporting clients experiencing trauma regarding its cause, symptoms, and treatment.
They will be a resource and advocate in their comprehensive understanding of crisis management and the impact of trauma on mental health and addiction challenges.
Their main goal is to ensure that our clients who are homeless or at risk of homelessness receive the best support possible to enable them to access and achieve independence in their own home and daily activities.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Plan, develop, implement, and evaluate trauma related treatment plans
- Collaborate with colleagues by providing expertise, guidance, and consultation
- Create and facilitate trauma and attachment groups
- Use standardized assessment tools within a community setting
- Develop and maintain a community resource network
- Refer to partnering organizations and provide linkages to community supports
- Understand and be able to integrate a philosophy of client-centred care into daily responsibilities
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to quality care and service delivery based on SHIP’s Mission and Values
- Ensure appropriate records are kept and ensure that statistical information is maintained as per agency standards
- Adhere to agency Health & Safety Program and the Client Safety Framework in the promotion of client safety
- Perform additional duties as required/delegated by Management
- Excellent written and verbal communication, and organizational skills
- Effective decision making skills and ability to assess a comprehensive range of variables to be able to interpret, analyze, and solve problems
- Ability to communicate with a highly diverse range of individuals of varying levels of education, professions, and personal life experiences from a broad range of cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
- Post-secondary education in Social Work, Social Services, Health Services, or equivalent
- 3+ years experience providing treatment and support to individuals experiencing trauma
- Demonstrated knowledge of serious mental illness, concurrent disorders, and/or dual diagnosis, and experience with intake services preferred
- Knowledge of evidence based practice for trauma related mental health services
- Excellent assessment, risk management, and crisis intervention
- A vehicle, valid driver’s license, and adequate insurance coverage
- Valid Certification in First Aid & CPR
- Training in ASIST and CPI
- Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply
- Hours are typically from Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm but may vary depending on client needs
- Able to answer and communicate by telephone and general computer use
- Able to lift up to 20lbs (product, documents, etc.)
- Vehicle travel to sites for visits/walk-throughs and open doors as required
How to Apply: Interested candidates are encouraged to apply through our careers page before February 13, 2020.
Why Work For Us?
Quality Housing, Quality Services, Quality Lives
To increase quality of life through health services and housing supports that promote mental and physical health and wellness
Leader and innovative partner in the community. Our programs welcome employees into our caring, compassionate, and innovative culture. We listen, we know what it means, and why it matters.
People are at the forefront of our success. These are just a few ways we ensure your personal and professional success:
- Competitive Salary with Annual Performance Reviews
- Travel Allowances
- Training & Development Programs, Committees
- 10 Paid Sick Days Annually
Years focused on Clients, Tenants, Staff and Families
Clients and Residents served annually
Programs and Service offerings in Southern Ontario
Dedicated, Respectful, Compassionate and Professional Employees
Housing Units Managed
SHIP is an equal opportunity employer under the Canadian Human Rights Commission and AODA.
If you need assistance with your application, please contact Human Resources | 905-795-8742
Thank you for your application but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Employee assistance programs
- Parental leave
- On-site parking
Reference ID: 20-008
Contract length: 18 months
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary, Contract
Salary: $54,445.70 to $64,115.25 /year
- Trauma Support: 3 years (Required)