The Wave Service Lead will strive to provide excellent customer service to establish strong relationships with customers and third party suppliers to ensure repeat business. In addition, this position will assist in the development and delivery of The Wave’s customer service program through shift management and training and development of Wave service staff.
The Service Lead will work directly with clients to book catering and banquets. They will effectively communicate all details to the Wave team, in order to provide an exceptional experience meeting all customer specifications. This position will have full financial accountability for catering billings and tracking.
Duties and responsibilities
- Responsible for liaising with clients to facilitate incoming catering bookings. Ensure catering client needs are met in terms of venue, menu and service details while delivering an exceptional customer experience
- Work with the F & B management team to communicate catering service details for scheduling, set up, billing and day of execution. Ensure all service agreements are up to date, containing all required details so shift managers can fully execute catering bookings with confidence
- Direct on shift management of the Wave dining room. This includes managing customer flow and seating, reservations and large party execution, food & beverage quality control and overall customer experience
- During scheduled restaurant impact shifts, works hands on expediting food from the Kitchen or supporting the Wave’s service staff during peak restaurant periods
- Perform restaurant opening duties as required. Ensure the restaurant is ready for open through the completion of all opening duties and checklists
- Ensure daily execution of our Safe Alcohol program at the Wave. This includes maintaining daily logs, reporting, working with 3rd party security and ensuring all staff are following SmartServ training and upholding all AGCO, USC and Western alcohol Policies
- As required run daily shift meetings for service staff to ensure they are knowledgeable on shift details, energized and in a positive mindset to provide above and beyond customer service
- Maintain fast, accurate service, positive guest experience and ensure products are consistently made to The Wave’s recipe specifications and standards
- Ensure prompt response and superior customer service to those requiring assistance with catering and bulk order bookings.
- Perform table visits during each shift to check in and ensure the quality of the customer experience
- Work to meet or exceed financial targets for catering food & beverage sales
- Perform daily financial administrative tracking duties during floor management shifts including reconciling server cashouts to sales reports, counting tills, reconciling Western One forms, completing the daily labour card and adjust shift punches as required
- Ensure monthly catering sales and COGS are tracked and reported to the Senior Manager by 4pm on the 1st day of each month as part of month end financial reporting.
- Issue all catering quotes/invoices to customers and ensure payment method and order changes are tracked and up to date on the contract
- Ensure all catering billings are processed and punched into our POS system the same day the food and beverage services are delivered. Follow all USC accounting procedures in regards to invoicing and accounts receivable protocols
Student Development / Training
- Recruit, interview, hire and discipline when necessary, part-time Service team members in coordination/approval with Senior Manager of Hospitality Services
- Develop employees by providing ongoing feedback, establishing performance expectations and ensure the execution of two performance appraisals for all Wave Service staff, one per semester
- Motivate and train all Wave FOH Service staff using our Learning Management System as well as provide hands-on in person training.
- Assist in the development of all Wave FOH training materials and policies in cooperation/approval of the Senior Manager of Hospitality Services
Cleaning, Maintenance and Health & Safety
- Ensure the Occupational Health & Safety Act, local health and safety codes, and USC safety and security policies are adhered to
- Ensure proper cleaning and preventative maintenance of all catering service/storage areas and catering equipment. These duties should be completed as set out by The Wave standard operating procedures and local public health guidelines
- Promptly complete incident reports / forms for all accidents, injuries and incidents that take place in the Wave and notify Senior Manager of any incident of injury, violence, harassment or other significant occurrence
- De-escalate situations between staff and customers, support Wave staff as they deal with difficult customers, discontinue the service of alcohol or assist in dealing with an intoxicated patron.
- Ensure all chemical safety guidelines including proper chemical labelling and ensure staff are using mandated PPE, with 100% compliance
- Participate in the planning and execution of Wave driven student programming as required and directed by The Senior Manager of Hospitality Services.
- Assist The Senior Manager of Hospitality services as required to execute USC executive lead programming and initiatives.
- Work with student clubs, faculties and other student groups to book and execute catering and banquet bookings
- Assist UCC clubs that require external catering services, to ensure food safety and service requirements are being met
- Ensure there is a sustainable lens on all catering and service related products, equipment and promotions. Work to meet the sustainable goals set forth by our student lead initiatives in collaboration with The Senior Manager of Hospitality Services
- Ensure proper execution of all FOH recycling and composting stations. Train staff on proper sorting of compost, recycling and garbage and create a plan for waste diversion for Wave events. Ensure clear signage is in place to ensure proper sorting of disposed items
Skills and Abilities:
- Computer Skills: Must be proficient with data processing software including Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Google docs, sheets, slides and calendar. Must have the ability to utilize computerized business tools such as email, learning management systems, POS, inventory management software and other appropriate online tools.
- Business/ Math Aptitude: This position requires excellent business and math skills with the ability to work accurately with cash, read budgets and financial statements.
- Communication Skills: This position requires excellent written, verbal and group communication skills. Requires the ability to analyze, create and interpret business documents
- Problem Solving/ Decision Making Skills: This position requires strong problem solving and decision making skills, and the ability to be flexible and adaptive in any situation.
- Conflict Resolution: Ability to remain calm and professional in a stressful fast pace work environment. The ability to de-escalate and resolve conflict with customers, Wave employees and fellow USC managers, which could involve irate or possibly intoxicated patrons or high stress situations.
- Liquor License: Knowledge of the Liquor License Act and Campus Alcohol Policies and their operational use
- Knowledge of social media platforms, scheduling tools/software, optimizing social media and analytics and marketing planning for campaigns
Education / Experience
- High School diploma or equivalent is required
- Post Secondary diploma/degree in business, marketing or hospitality an asset
- Minimum 2 years experience managing in a faced paced restaurant with catering or a stand alone catering company
- Experience in sales and/or customer service related role is an asset
- A passion for beverage, food and service is a must
Certifications / Specialized training
- Smart Serve certification - every five years or less
- Food Safety Certified (Basic Food safety Certificate)
Any training and certifications needed for this position will be provided by the Wave.
The USC is pleased to offer full time hours with a competitive salary for this position. In addition this position will receive extensive Health and Dental benefits, substantial paid time off and a free meal during their shift!
Interested in working with our dynamic team in a fast paced environment that focuses on staying current with student trends? Apply today!
Please apply by Nov 30th using this link : https://westernusc.forms-db.com/view.php?id=409412
The University Students’ Council of the University of Western Ontario is an equal opportunity employer. The USC is committed to providing accommodations to those with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Application deadline: 2021-11-30
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $38,000.00-$41,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Discounted or free food
- Extended health care
- Paid time off