Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week:
Please note, this is a 1-year temporary full-time contract opportunity. Secondments are welcome.
With an international reputation for success, Western ranks as one of Canada's top research-intensive universities. Our research excellence expands knowledge and drives discovery with real-world application. Western also provides an exceptional employment experience, offering competitive salaries, a wide range of employment opportunities and one of Canada's most beautiful campuses.
The Contract Research Team (CRT) ensures that Western enters into only prudent sponsored research agreements and contracts with external sponsoring partners. The CRT is responsible for coordinating procedures and disseminating information to faculty and staff regarding Western’s research policies and procedures, intellectual property, publication, confidential information and reporting terms. The CRT ensures that sponsored research agreements and contracts with external partners meet Western’s research policies and best business practices.
The Contracts Officer manages a portfolio of multi-partner and industrial research agreements and contracts with a focus on projects related to the Advanced Manufacturing Consortium, the Faculty of Engineering and Faculty of Science. The incumbent will review or draft grant agreements/contracts and negotiate terms to ensure Western enters into only prudent agreements and contracts. The incumbent will ensure agreements are appropriately aligned with Western policies and procedures, with specific reference to the grant and contract agreements from an external funding agency. The incumbent contributes to the development of the research environment, and in this manner, supports research activity by individual academic faculty and enables the achievement of their stated research plans.
- Bachelor Degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics) discipline
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in Science or Engineering is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 3 years’ experience in research administration or contract negotiations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and confidence dealing with all levels of the organization
- Advanced ability to effectively communicate (orally and in writing), lead business discussions and train others
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills with an emphasis on proposal development and presentation to internal contacts up to senior management
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing learning and professional development
- Ability to understand customer needs and expectations and provide excellent customer service directly and indirectly to satisfy expectations
- Strong customer service skills to handle enquiries and resolve issues in a professional and timely manner
- Positive, outgoing attitude with genuine customer service orientation
- Strong client focus and a desire to achieve results is essential
- A strong record of teamwork with the motivation and ability to work independently with little supervision
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and achieve results
- Self-driven, independent thinker who is highly motivated and possesses an intrinsic passion for quality
- Intermediate Computer Skills in Microsoft Office
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.