Project Name: Sr. Data Architect – EDA Platform - Advanced Analytics (AA), Machine Learning (ML), and Artificial Intelligence (AI)
Location of Work: ATB Place, North Tower, 15th Floor, 10025 - Jasper Avenue, Edmonton, AB
Estimated Workdays: 232
Estimated Start Date: 27-Apr-2020
Estimated End Date: 31-Mar-2021
Estimated Hours per Day: 7.25
The Government of Alberta (GoA) provides countless services to Albertans. In doing so, large amounts of data are generated daily. This data can be used for the social good of its citizens. Likewise, Albertans can choose to download data offered on GoA Open Data portal to develop social programs.
As the government embraces the digital revolution, the amount of data generated through its daily operations and interactions with citizens has been growing rapidly. These datasets are stored in a myriad of large repositories of structured and unstructured data within GoA’s operational application databases, business intelligence environments/data warehouses, desktop tools, and shared network storage. Within these digital data repositories lies valuable insight into a variety of issues the government is challenged with on a daily basis that have the potential to improve all aspects of the business of Government - from policy formulation, program design and implementation, service and citizen delivery. These data assets are under-utilized. The value of the data to support the business of Government is currently limited by its ability to effectively share and process the volume, velocity and variety of data and to derive useful information.
As the amount of data generated by the Government of Alberta (GoA) continues to grow, the importance of leveraging the collected data to improve GoA-wide capabilities becomes critical. Data by itself does not possess value - we must process and use the data to enable decision-making and analysis. The value of the data to support the business of Government is currently limited by its ability to share, process and derive useful information from this data.
In addition to continuously improving and implementing technology solutions for use by all ministries, the GoA is working on initiatives to deliver:
- Advanced Analytics (AA), Machine Learning (ML), and Artificial/augmented Intelligence (AI): There are several use cases which present opportunities for GoA to streamline its processes in order to provide more intuitive, automated, customized and re-aligned services to Albertans. This initiative plans to deliver at least two projects from a list of GoA use cases.
- Descriptive Analytics: Currently, GoA data is spread across multiple ministry platforms and “silos”. It consumes significant efforts and lots of time to share data, which contributes to ineffective utilization of GoA data assets and to slower and reactive policy driven decision-making.
Government of Alberta is in the process of implementing a new Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system known as 1GX (for One Government Experience). When the new system is in place, it will lead by storing data from the previous ERP system known as IMAGIS. The outcomes of this project are expected to positively impact decision makers within the GoA. The components developed in this project are core components necessary to meet the emerging analytics needs of multiple ministries and cross government initiatives.
As part of the Enterprise Data Analytics (EDA) platform services, this initiative would also deliver data repatriation, ingestion, and archiving of IMAGIS and retired applications’ data for 1GX (number of retired applications’ data to be repatriated is to be determined), and select cross-functional reporting.
Other Descriptive Analytics projects could also be undertaken, depending on scope and size.
The new systems and capabilities will be incorporated in and/or with the GOA EDA platform, which includes but is not limited to an enterprise data lake and business intelligence/data visualization tools.
Description of Services
Data Architect provides architectural and technical expertise, leadership, project management and services related to data management to improve the quality, security, effectiveness and value of data and information.
Responsibilities include the following but are not limited to:
- Provide advice and consulting services regarding data management strategies, data architecture, and ministry data.
- Consult with project stakeholders on an ongoing basis.
- Assist in developing project plans, schedules, and estimates pertaining to architectural deployment and services delivery.
- Assist in developing task lists and resource assignments within the context of architectural planning.
- Document technical recommendations; provide technical advice and guidance to management, operations and project team members and within shared IT services.
- Ensure change management processes are followed.
- Make recommendations to project team members pertaining to issues, risks and client satisfaction.
- Provide tracking and reporting of time and status on all work as required.
Job Type: Contract