Nature and Scope
This is a Dishwashing / cleaning role, working in the kitchen dish and pot washing areas as well as helping in the kitchen with meal service and delivery of food when needed. The Steward is an important member of the Kitchen team. The Steward provides a hands-on, positive and proactive approach to all general aspects of the dish areas, service area and kitchen. They will ensure all aspects of their work are in compliance with applicable health and safety regulations and strictly adhering to all sanitary and safe food handling guidelines outlined in our allergy management procedure. Conducts self and exemplifies behaviours towards others in accordance with the School’s respectful workplace culture.
- Responsible for opening, closing and operating dishwashing /pot washing areas of Food Services, including:
- Readying dish wash machine for use prior to each meal
- Setting up dirty dish receiving area with garbage bins, appropriate dish racks and soaking bins for cutlery.
- Operating dishwashing machine to clean dishes for regular service.
- Returning all clean dishes and glassware to appropriate areas.
- Setting up Pot Wash area to receive pots and small wares for cleaning.
- Cleaning of food service equipment and returning to proper storage locations to ensure efficient and timely operation of the kitchen and dining hall.
- Sweeping and washing of all floor areas, Wet mops any spills and posts ‘wet floor’ sign immediately.
- Organizing, cleaning and readying dish wash and pot wash areas for next shift.
- Assisting with food preparation when needed
- Cleaning large cooking appliances.
- Assisting Manager of food services and Sous chef with special functions and tasks involved.
- Cleaning floors, walls and disposing of garbage, organics and recycling.
- Helping to wipe tables or clean spills in dining area when needed
- Assisting in serving food or helping in dining hall when needed.
- Assists in maintaining all areas of the Food Services Dept. in a clean, safe condition: periodically cleans all windows, doors, walls, corridors, surfaces, edges and corners of the floors using the appropriate equipment for the task at hand, i.e., broom, mop, cloths, sanitizer, vacuum etc.
- Wet mops any spills and posts ‘wet floor’ sign immediately.
- Stocks juice / milk machines during service & ensures the proper amounts of plates and cutlery are available.
- Refills chemical bottles used for cleaning purposes, kept in the recycling area.
- Performs scheduled cleaning of equipment, supply carts, cooler, freezer, deep fryer, vents, ovens and grills, and vacuums small fridge motors.
- Checks the meeting rooms and board rooms daily for any dirty dishes, garbage or cleaning needs
- Assists with the delivery of food service items to other locations on campus and setting up and breaking down food stations etc.
- Work as a team with other employees in the Food Services Department; perform other duties as required.
Education / Certification:
Grade 12 education required, with some post-secondary education preferred.
Current certification in Food Safe and WHMIS.
Experience / Skills:
- At least 2 years’ experience in a similar role that requires a high level of attention to detail, and high standards of personal and environmental cleanliness, such as in a large restaurant, hotel, cleaning service or working in another institutional setting performing all aspects of a similar role.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to multi-task, to work well under pressure and meet all deadlines.
- Good communication /listening skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to work independently and undertake all aspects of the role without daily or on-going or specific direction, and as part of a team. Must be self-motivated with the ability to deal with minor problems, extraordinary issues or variances to routine without supervisory assistance.
- Must have a level of physical fitness suitable to perform the manual tasks and physical demands of this position.
Work normally requires a high level of physical effort: lifting, bending, twisting, reaching, grasping, etc. occasional requirement to lift pots, pans, dishes and other items up to 50 lb.
Work normally requires a low to moderate level of mental effort in assessing, problem-solving, reading, organizing, and handling repetitive tasks amid distractions and interruptions.
The Cleaning portion of this role requires a moderate level of physical exertion for extended periods.
- Located in a modern campus complex.
- Successful clearance of a Criminal Record Check is a condition of initial and ongoing employment.
- Works in a fast-paced environment that operates 7 days a week.
- Day, afternoon, and evening shifts of varying duration, including weekends, are scheduled on a regular and relief basis. Occasional additional hours may be required according to operational needs.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $18.50 per hour
- Company events
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Discounted or free food
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site gym
- On-site parking
- Vision care
- Wellness program
A full Safety Plan is in place for Staff and Students