Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week:
Western University delivers an academic experience second to none. Western challenges the best and brightest faculty, staff and students to commit to the highest global standards. Our research excellence expands knowledge and drives discovery with real-world application. Western attracts individuals with a broad worldview, seeking to study, influence and lead in the international community. Since 1878, The Western Experience has combined academic excellence with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social and cultural growth in order to better serve our communities.
The Department of French Studies aims to provide the best student experience in the fields of French language, literature and linguistics among North America’s leading research-intensive universities. We continue to believe that strong research, is and will be our best asset.
The Administrative Officer will facilitate and provide oversight for a wide range of administrative, human resources, communications and financial functions and processes to ensure smooth and efficient administration of the Department of French Studies. The incumbent interacts with internal and external stakeholders to respond to inquiries and address concerns, while ensuring compliance with relevant legislation and Western's policies and procedures, in order to facilitate the achievement of the Department's missions and objectives. The incumbent will monitor and evaluate current administrative processes, and make recommendations regarding the development and implementation of new and revised processes to support continuous improvement and the use of best practices. The Administrative Officer will provide supervision to staff, offer guidance on various administrative processes, and monitor and manage resources to ensure the University community is served effectively.
- Undergraduate Degree in a related field
- Completion of or working towards Certified Human Resources Professional and/or Canadian Institute of Management Designation
- Master’s Degree is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 5 years' administrative, human resources, and financial experience in a complex office environment; experience managing staff and projects
- High level of fluency in French (oral and written communication) is essential
- Knowledge of general office procedures, best practices for assessing, developing and implementing new business processes and procedures
- Familiarity with financial budgeting and principles, Human Resources principles and practices, Employment Standards Act and other relevant legislation
- Ability to ensure expenditures and resources are within allotments, and to make appropriate modifications when required
- Ability to provide strategic analysis and recommendations for designing and implementing new and changing administrative processes
- Project management skills to manage multiple projects simultaneously from conception to completion within tightly prescribed timelines
- Ability to organize and effectively manage financial and human resources needed to achieve results
- Communication skills with an ability to complete detailed analytics and reports
- Competency to maintain confidentiality and treat sensitive information with discretion
- Customer service skills to understand customer needs and expectations, with a desire to deliver helpful and reliable service to the University community
- Ability and willingness to employ a consultative and collaborative approach to addressing issues and making decisions
- Ability to handle details with a high degree of accuracy and to organize and prioritize a high volume of work to meet deadlines
- Commitment to ongoing professional development with a desire to take on new challenges
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to remain highly motivated, resilient, innovative, and collaborative when faced with challenges
- Computer skills with the ability to train others in system usage
- Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite and with content management systems (such as Cascade)
- Influential interpersonal skills that build positive and strong relationships at all levels of the organization
- Familiarity with University policies and procedures preferred
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.