Across our three hospitals and eight satellite sites, Scarborough Health Network (SHN) is shaping the future of care. Our many programs and services are designed around the needs of one of Canada’s most vibrant and diverse communities. We are home to North America’s largest nephrology program, as well as the designated cardiac care and spine centre for Scarborough and surrounding communities to the east. We are proud to be a community-affiliated teaching site for the University of Toronto and partner with a number of other universities and colleges, helping to train the next generation of health care professionals. Learn more at shn.ca
Reporting to Manager of Women and Children's Program, the successful candidate will be responsible for assessing, planning implementation and evaluating nursing care and practice activities in a multidisciplinary family centred care environment. The nurse will work alongside an interdisciplinary team in a clinic setting. As a Registered Practical Nurse, you will practice according to the current standards of practice of the College of Nurses of Ontario, the Standards of Nursing Practice, policies and procedures of SHN. You will also provide high quality nursing care to patients and their families, based on the philosophy and conceptual framework of Nursing of SHN.
Company Vacancy/Request for Transfer:
The completion of this online form serves as your application and will be used to determine if you meet the requirements of this position. Please ensure that you have provided all pertinent information necessary to be considered for this vacancy by the close date.
- Current certification with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Competent to perform CPR at a Basic Cardiac Life Support level
- Current paediatric knowledge and experience related to paediatric disease process and paediatric family-centered care (medical / surgical / mental health)
- Similar or related recent experience in a paediatric clinic setting would be an asset
- Newborn assessment skills a requirement
- Lactation consultant certification would be an asset
- Breastfeeding certification
- Commitment to complete all Departmental Added Nursing Competency certification within 3 months of hire
- Commitment to initiating paediatric IV starts / venipuncture within 3 months of hire if not able to do so upon hire.
- Commitment to the quality of care of our patients, evidence based practice, and a clear understanding of professional standards
- Evidence of sound organizational and prioritization skills with the ability to work well in stressful situations
- Excellent communication, negotiation, teaching and interpersonal skills with the ability to work well with patients, families, all levels of staff and the community
- Ability to work well independently and to exercise sound judgement
- Promotes and encourages professional development in self and others
- Ability to perform the essential duties of the position
- Computer skills should include competency with Word, Excel, Outlook, Meditech
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to SHN’s comprehensive safety programs and practices including staff, patient and environmental safety and participation in regular in-service in this area
- Demonstrates values consistent with SHN's Code of Conduct and is committed to fostering a healthy and positive work environment in accordance with Health & Safety policy and legislation.
- Utilize protective equipment provided and identify and reports hazards
- Engages in ethical conduct and strives to understand and appreciate the diversity of our patient/staff population and community
- Excellent work performance and attendance record
Scarborough Health Network (SHN) embraces and celebrates our community’s unique multicultural heritage and diversity. SHN is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a culture of inclusiveness and diversity reflecting our diverse patients, staff and community alike. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more about our exciting opportunities by following us on Twitter at: SHNCareers