Western Forest Products has an exciting opportunity for a Labour Relations Advisor, based in Nanaimo, BC.
With the overarching objective of Defining a Higher Standard, the Labour Relations Advisor will report to the Director, Labour Relations and will be responsible for advising on all Labour Relations issues. Through the proactive engagement of business partners, supervisors and hourly staff with the intent to build stronger and mutually beneficial relationships with employees, the LR Advisor will identify and address issues impacting employee relations with the overall intent to drive productive and motivated teams. The LR Advisor will also participate in grievance handling, arbitration cases and collective bargaining.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Provide strategic business partnering and effective Labour Relations solutions, to all levels of management as required; working in collaboration with the LR Team and the Corporate HR Team;
- Work closely with site-based leadership in executing LR strategies and initiatives to align with corporate and business unit goals and ensure a productive and engaged workforce;
- Provide day to day to advice, counsel and guidance to site leadership on all manner of disciplinary and operational issues to ensure fair, consistent and legally defensible treatment of employees; manage the site’s grievance process;
- Resolve employee relations issues, conduct investigations, and recommend and implement corrective actions when required;
- Participate in the preparation for arbitrations.
- Analyze trends and metrics as they apply to assigned business groups; use data and analysis to provide insight for decision making and provide appropriate interventions to achieve business goals and increase employee engagement, commitment and retention;
- Assist in the grievance process, maintaining the tracking system and related reporting;
- Interpret and advise on language in Collective Agreements;
- Assist in other areas of Human Resources, as required;
WHO YOU ARE
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in any applicable field; and
- Minimum of 3 years’ of progressive Labour Relations or Human Resources experience;
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Ability to deal with, manage, and resolve conflict in the workplace;
- Ability to write at a professional business level;
- Strong decision making, leadership, communication skills;
- Strong analytical background and problem solving skills;
- High level of integrity and professionalism;
- Strong active listening skills;
- Strong negotiation skills; and
- Ability to travel up to 75% of the time.
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION
We value our employees and offer a comprehensive total rewards package, which includes competitive compensation with a pay-for-performance philosophy, employer-paid benefits, pension and other programs designed to support our employees and meet their needs. If you invest your time and talents in our company, we will invest in you.
We strive to support our people in reaching their full potential. We provide a variety of on-the-job training and continuing education in many areas at Western to ensure you have the skills you need to succeed. Our promote-from-within culture recognizes high performance, and we offer diverse career paths across the organization for those with the talent and will to advance.
ABOUT WESTERN FOREST PRODUCTS
Western Forest Products is a Canadian forest products company that sustainably manages forests and manufactures high-quality wood products. We are committed to providing the most sustainable building products on the planet. With operations in the coastal region of British Columbia and Washington State, Western Forest Products meets the needs of customers worldwide with a specialty wood products focus and diverse product offering sourced from our secure access to a variety of coastal BC tree species. Our progressive approach to safe and sustainable forestry practices and large investment in manufacturing ensures the health and prosperity of our forests, communities and business for generations to come.
We provide equal opportunity in recruitment, career development, promotion, training and rewards for all employees.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent