Job Posting #889007
Senior Communications Associate
KITE Research Institute at Toronto Rehabilitation Institute at UHN
The KITE Research Institute (Communications)
Director, KITE Research Operations
$62,166 to $77,688 per annum commensurate with experience and consistent with UHN Compensation Policy
37.5 hours per week
Permanent Full Time
University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Senior Communications Associate (Editor) in the KITE Research Institute
Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,600 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
University Health Network (UHN) is a research hospital affiliated with the University of Toronto and a member of the Toronto Academic Health Science Network. The scope of research and complexity of cases at UHN have made it a national and international source for discovery, education and patient care. Research across UHN's seven research institutes spans the full spectrum of diseases and disciplines, including cancer, cardiovascular sciences, transplantation, neural and sensory sciences, musculoskeletal health, rehabilitation sciences, and community and population health. Find out about our purpose, values and principles here.
KITE is the research arm of Toronto Rehab and one of the principal research enterprises at the UHN, Canada’s top medical research hospital. KITE is an acronym for “Knowledge, Innovation, Talent, Everywhere”. These core values are embedded in everything we do. They help fuel our mission, which is to improve the lives of people living with the effects of disability, illness and aging. As a world leader in complex rehabilitation science, at KITE, we aim to redefine rehab.
The Senior Communications Associate at the KITE Research Institute works to the full scope of practice of the Public Affairs & Communications team with a focus on the work at KITE. This position reports to the Director, KITE Research Operations and works very closely with the Team Lead, Public Affairs and Communications responsible for all communications activities within KITE and the UHN Public Affairs and Communications team. As a member of the KITE Operations team, the Senior Communications Associate provides communications expertise and support to the leadership teams across all KITE programs, and is responsible for developing and leading a wide-range of internal and external communications deliverables. The Senior Communications Associate will also play a critical role in leading the development, launch, roll-out and operation of communications strategies supporting key KITE Strategic Initiatives. This includes interviewing and writing material for media releases, internal publications, social media, shooting and editing video material and photography, and providing advice and counsel to senior members of the KITE Leadership Team. Occasionally, as needs dictate, this role works on projects such as support to UHN Foundation campaigns, events with the Minister or Ministry officials, and UHN News.
- Completion of an undergraduate degree and/or post-graduate certificate required;Masters' in Journalism, Communications, Public Affairs or other relevant discipline or recognized equivalent preferred
- At minimum, 4 years’ practical and related experience required
- In depth writing, editing and verbal communications skills required
- Well versed in public relations practices, particularly in the areas of strategic communications, story writing, internal and community relations, events management and media relations
- Excellent visual and design skills including Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, PowerPoint and photography
- Skills and interest in photography and video development/production (ie. Filming and editing)
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team and interact efficiently with committees
- Experience in an academic/clinical setting or complex, large institution is desirable
- Evidence of organizational, time management and project management skills is necessary
- Previous on-the-job experience with writing, editing, shooting and photography
- Computer literacy required; preferably Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Adobe Creative Suite, desktop publishing (e.g. Quark), web page design
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding of what makes a good story and a good pitch to media
- Ability to put the needs of patients and families first required
- Ability to establish solid working relationships with staff at all levels required
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently under pressure required
- A self-starter and initiator
Vaccines (COVID and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
If you are interested in making your contribution at UHN, please apply on-line. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.
November 25, 2021 Closing Date: December 9, 2021
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN's attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
UHN thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity and welcomes all applicants including but not limited to: all religions and ethnicities, LGBTQ2s+, BIPOC, persons with disabilities and all others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.