Language Skill Levels (Read/Write/Speak):
$63418.82 to $79273.53
Temporary Full Time
We’re not your typical government agency
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) exists for a single reason: to make housing affordable for everyone in Canada. We’re mobilizing the expertise and energy of governments, non-profits, lenders, developers, social entrepreneurs and co-ops to create the future of housing. At CMHC, we believe that everyone in Canada should have a place to call home.
Experience a Results-Only Work Environment™ (ROWE™)
At CMHC, we trust you to get the job done. We’ve shifted from managing people to managing work. Each employee is 100% autonomous and 100% accountable. You can choose where you need to be and when you need to be there to meet your objectives. You’re in control of your time and are trusted to make the right decisions.
This position reports to the Client Relationships and Operations team in our Office of the SVP, Client Operations sector. This sectormake delivering housing affordability solutions easy
About the role
We’re constantly evolving to build an inclusive housing system through research, design, innovation and partnerships. You will assess and process the settlement of insurance claims that result from the default of multiple unit projects in difficulty of varying sizes and complexity. You will serve as the expert in assessing the administration of the mortgage insurance contract between CMHC and Approved Lenders; claims are often complicated in nature. This will help us make housing affordable for everyone in Canada.
What you will need
- Undergraduate degree in a related field such as business, finance and commerce.
- Minimum of three years of relevant experience.
- Strong knowledge of procedures, policies and regulations.
- Strong financial knowledge of analyses, financial statements, borrower legal structure, construction process and real estate.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of market trends and developments in Canada and of industry partners.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Decision-making skills.
- Strong understanding of serviced client groups in Canada, including related legal documentation.
Additional Assets (if applicable)
- Successful completion of a professional association designation would be considered an asset. Sound knowledge of mortgage financing and real estate laws, default remedy and/or property administration.
What you will be doing
- Perform in-depth analysis of projects that could not be saved from default and where a claim was received.
- Establish the claim amount payable and process settlements under the mortgage insurance contract for multi-unit residential properties by conducting a thorough and detailed assessment of submitted documentation to determine lender compliance with the National Housing Act, the Mortgage Loan Insurance Policy (the Certificate of
- Insurance), the Accelerated Claim Payment Plan (ACPP) and any Special Conditions. Provide documentation to management for review and approval, as and when necessary, to ensure management of risk when faced with exceptions on policy outside their authority level.
- Provide effective and efficient delivery of services in contribution to service standards.
- Serve as peer reviewer on risk (payment) recommendation and administration decisions.
- Negotiate with and provide direction to Approved Lenders for contentious issues, including claim adjustments, legal actions and settlements in lieu of judgment. Provide logical, well-reasoned explanations for CMHC's position.
- Take a service-oriented approach to anticipate and respond to the needs of the Approved Lender clients. Provide interpretation and advice on policies and procedures, products, services and systems related to claims for multi-unit residential properties.
- Document, in a clear and logical method, all observations, decisions and recommendations made with respect to the adjudication of the claim.
- Identify trends and recommend action to management on various issues relating to multi-unit residential properties, including claim volume projections, arrears reporting, and projects in difficulty and lender negligence.
- Apply sound judgment and decision-making practices that are factual to derive recommendations and solutions.
- Exercise prudence and diligence to ensure compliance with all relevant internal policies and procedures applicable to the function.
- Provide financial risk recommendations and present mitigation options.
- Maintain quality relationships with clients to understand their needs and objectives and explore opportunities.
- Work in a team environment and contribute to service standards and turnaround times.
- Use effective oral and written communication techniques to confirm understanding of issues and to prepare and present an accurate and timely corporate position.
- Take immediate action to address client needs and inquiries.
- Consult and seek advice from other specialists as required, including Legal Services, Financial Services, National Recoveries Centre, Default Management and Real Estate Centres.
Does this sound like you?
Click the “apply now” button and create an account (it should take about 30 seconds). We’re excited to hear from you!
Posting closing date:
February 24, 2020 @ 11:59 pm EST (Note, the competition may remain active until filled)
Job Requisition ID:
Any other location in Canada
We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted.
CMHC is an employer that values diversity and encourages the learning and use of both Canada's official languages. CMHC is committed to employment equity and actively encourages application from women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities
- If selected for an interview or testing, please advise us if you require an accommodation.