Brief Company Summary
The Market & Smør provides quality produce and healthy to-go foods and hard to find items. We work diligently to ensure that our food, our store hours, and our availability to those we work with and for are in line with our values. We strive towards a zero food-waste market, and will nourish those who let us.
The Produce Associate is responsible for overseeing and reporting on the set up and take down of the produce department, produce life-cycle and to ensure waste is minimized. During shift hours, the Produce Associate is responsible for the creation and maintenance of the produce display, to ensure product is positioned optimally for quick and continuous movement. The Produce Associate must work within the store’s operating guidelines so that they can optimize operations.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Maintain produce department inventory and restocking supplies as needed;
- Actively maintains and communicates Market & Smør’s produce inventory with the Department Lead, including sell-by dates, overstock, etc. ensuring waste is minimized;
- Communicates, troubleshoots and rectifies order errors with suppliers (i.e. order and/or billing errors, over/ under, receipt of spoiled or damaged product, etc.
- Ensures produce displays meet store plan on a daily basis i.e. ripest produce moved to the front and set up as Department Lead plans out;
- Ensure proper signage for produce displays to enhance sales/profits;
- Ensure pricing integrity;
- Create and merchandise produce displays, making sure only high-quality produce is presented.
- Greets customers when on the store floor, and provides friendly, intelligent assistance to their questions and queries.
- Demonstrated understanding of critical success factors for The Market & Smør concept;
- Demonstrates and respects The Market & Smør’s value of “respect, truth and kindness” in the daily activities and interactions.
- Adheres to all Market & Smør workplace policies and procedures.
- Completion of high school
- Minimum of two years experience in produce strongly preferred
- Excellent communication skills
- Mathematical and conversation skills
- Ability to work with minimal functional direction
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently
- Solid knowledge of all aspects of the produce area, operations, and products
This is a retail environment. There are many hours standing on your feet while being customer-facing.
As we sell produce, the temperatures are kept very cool. It is often advised to wear layers.
Regularly required to walk or stand;
Regularly lift and/or move up to 23kg (50lbs.);
Will be required to perform tasks involving firm grasping;
Occasionally be required to bend, twist or squat.
Will be involved in frequent repetitive hand actions.
Will be required to go up and down stairs.
Will be required to reach above shoulder height and below waist level.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Permanent
Salary: $15.00-$18.00 per hour
- Casual dress
- Discounted or free food
- On-site parking
- Store discount
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday