Western University delivers an academic experience second to none. Western challenges the best and brightest faculty, staff and students to commit to the highest global standards. Our research excellence expands knowledge and drives discovery with real-world application. Western attracts individuals with a broad worldview, seeking to study, influence and lead in the international community. Since 1878, The Western Experience has combined academic excellence with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social and cultural growth in order to better serve our communities.
Western Continuing Studies provides opportunities for everyone to keep learning at Western University. Whether you are pursuing a higher level of education or exploring a new interest, our courses are designed with your career and life aspirations in mind.
The Program Assistant is responsible for supporting the Customer Service team (Professional Development and Post Degree portfolios) and the Program Support Manager in multiple areas of student and instructor support and course and OWL support geared to a diverse range of learners. These learners include current Western students, Western alumni, Western staff and adults employed in a wide variety of professions, and retirees.
The program area goals include:
- providing program, student and instructor support
- excellence in student experience
Administrative and Student Support
Supporting the Program Representative:
- Review course outlines for accuracy and policy compliance, update on OWL sites and WCS website
- Review OWL site for accuracy prior to site publication and course start date
- Liaise with instructors and Western bookstore to submit textbook requests, update website, notify students, checks to ensure texts are in stock at Bookstore
- Follows up with instructors for contracts and textbook orders
- Creates instructor contracts
- Supports instructors as needed
Supporting the Customer Service Representative (Information Specialist):
Supporting the Program Support Manager:
- Course survey creation, monitoring responses, sending student follow ups and closing surveys and sharing results with Program Managers.
- Supports the Information Specialist with course specific assessments – student set up, communication to outside agencies and students.
- Follows up for outstanding unsubmitted grades from instructors, issues grades and communicates to students
- Respond to Destiny inquiries using email templates for program information
- Supports customer service phones and generic email as needed
- Collaborates with Program Support Manager on new initiatives as needed, i.e. system customizations, partnerships etc.
- Minimum three year community college diploma.
- Three years experience in a retail or sales environment with a strong orientation towards customer service and teamwork.
General office experience working with multiple software systems, databases and/or OWL is preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong customer service skills to handle inquiries and resolve issues in a professional and timely manner
- Competent interpersonal verbal and written skills and ability to work as a member of a team
- Ability to work in a fast-paced business environment, meet tight deadlines and adapt to growth and change
- Effective organizational, problem-solving, time management skills and attention to detail with ability to effectively multitask during periods of high-volume
- Strong attention to detail and proof reading abilities with an excellent command of the English language
- Intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office
Applying at Western
To ensure that your application is given full consideration, please complete all relevant sections of the application. In addition, you can choose to supplement your application with a cover letter and current resume.
Consideration of applicants will include an assessment of previous performance, experience, and qualifications.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.