Delta Star is a leading transformer manufacturing company seeking a Mechanical Design Manager at our St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Québec facility.
The Mechanical Design Manager must be a member of Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (OIQ) and having a minimum of 10 years’ experience in mechanical design. The ideal candidate would be extremely organized, and able to manage design work for several projects at a time. You will be responsible for leading the mechanical design team, creating & maintaining mechanical design schedule, ensuring best engineering practice.
To be considered for this position the candidate must be a certified OIQ Engineer (Junior engineer status will not be considered).
Direct report: the incumbent will be reporting to the Engineering Manager.
- Manage the mechanical engineering team of seven mechanical designers.
- Maintain the mechanical design-engineering schedule – by driving and mobilizing the team members.
- Provide training and support to the design team in matters of compliance with current codes, good practices, standards, best practices, tools and work methods.
- Establish goals and objectives for each engineer with regular reviews and performance appraisal.
- Review the design mechanical system plans and specifications ensuring compliance with current standards
- Time & attendance management (registering hours worked by the engineer per project)
- Reviewing the mechanical structural design of the transformer
- Develop R&D activities and standardization of processes related to project performance guarantees, specifications, design standards, and applicable codes.
- Work closely with the Engineering Manager to achieve these tasks, by providing him support, and assist with technical development of staff
- Proactively develop and implement measures to cost-effectively achieve goals and increase customer satisfaction.
· Assign designs to engineers based on schedule.
· Supervise designs.
· Establish new design rules.
· Trains engineers and designers.
· Evaluate the performance of the Mechanical Design Department personnel.
Support Manufacturing, Testing, Quality and Contract Departments, as well as external suppliers.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Member of the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (OIQ).
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering; Master’s degree is a plus.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in mechanical design.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in team management.
- Experience in the transformer industry would be preferable (Strong Asset) or related technologies (e.g. electromagnetics, induction systems, production environment etc.)
- French and English bilingualism in written and spoken
- Having project management education and experience would be a strong asset.
- Must have interpersonal, mentorship, leadership, communication, and organizational skills.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Team management experience
- Knowledge of project management, time and priority management
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-site environment
- Stress tolerance of multiple deadlines
- Knowledge of 2D and 3D assisted design, Inventor and Auto-Cad software
- Experience with Microsoft D365 or other ERP systems
- Knowledge of MS Office software
- Strong organizational skills, analytical thinking and synthesis skills, leadership, pro-activity, self-reliance and strong customer focus
- Experience in Product Manufacturing Development and R&D with power products (power electronics, power distribution systems, circuit breakers, switchgear, inverters, etc.) in a factory environment.
WHY JOIN DELTA STAR:
- Competitive compensation
- Wonderful and stimulating work environment and teammates
- Comprehensive benefits package (Medical, Dental, Vision, and more)
- Employer contribution to a retirement pension plan
- On-site Parking (Free)
- On-site cafeteria with discounted food meal.
- 37.5 hours per week
- Monday to Friday
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Bachelor's Degree (required)
- Mechanical Design: 10 years (preferred)
- Team management: 5 years (preferred)
- French (preferred)
- English (preferred)
- * Member of the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (OIQ) (required)