CHEERS Research Project
Health Promotion Leader (HPL)
Founded in 1910 and located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Mount Royal University grew into a vibrant college in the 1930s and became a mid-sized university in 2009. Mount Royal has carved out a distinct niche by offering smaller class sizes, a robust liberal education and unique undergraduate programs. Currently, nearly 14,000 credit students choose from 12 bachelor degrees and 32 majors.
CHEERS stands for Creating Healthy Eating & active Environments. We believe that providing healthy eating and active environments in child care settings promotes child health and brain development, resulting in healthy adults. CHEERS addresses the knowledge and skills required to support healthy environments for children. We provide assessment, feedback, and resources for the Alberta early childhood educator community. The four areas CHEERS addresses are: foods served; healthy eating environment; healthy eating program planning; and physically active environment. Our mission is to provide Alberta child cares with practical and tangible knowledge, skills, and activities in nutrition and physical literacy that support optimal health outcomes for children.
About the Role
The Department of Health & Physical education invites applications for CHEERS Health Promotion Leader positions in Edmonton. We are looking for reliable and competent individuals who are passionate about nutrition and physical literacy education in the child care setting. The CHEERS Health Promotion Leader will support child care centres with the implementation of best practices of nutrition and physical literacy. The CHEERS HPL will collect in-person data in the Fall 2020 and Spring 2021. The position will be between 4 – 64 hours per month depending on the number of assigned child care centres.
Note: Health Promotion Leaders may be assigned to more than one child care. The applicant must be located in Edmonton (or surrounding area), Alberta.
Responsibilities (include but not limited to):
- Complete the required training, including data collection training.
- Communicate with assigned child care centres to plan and organize meetings.
- Prepare relevant resources and materials for child care centre visit.
- Visit assigned child care centre for approximately 4 hours per month for 8 months.
- Discuss and address concerns around nutrition and physical activity of child care centre.
- Facilitate the creation or refinement of goals and policies for child care centre.
- Provide supplementary resources such as websites and handouts to child care centres.
- Provide CHEERS Project Coordinator with summaries of child care visits.
- Visit assigned child care centre to collect data.
- Follow data collection procedures.
- Ensure data is accurately collected and uploaded.
- Recruit participants through calling and emailing.
- Send monthly invoices to CHEERS Project Coordinator that includes hours worked and detailed travel expenses.
- Bachelor’s degree in a health-related field.
- Has a thorough understanding of physical literacy and nutrition.
- Quick and adaptable learner.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Detail-oriented and highly organized.
- Experience in working in a child care setting preferred.
- Requires within city travel – vehicle transportation required.
- Travel will be compensated at $0.45 per km
- Health Promotion Leader expected to track and submit kilometers travelled.
Salary: $45 per hour plus $500 for orientation [Module review, CHEERS online orientation session, Resource package review, data collection training].
A cover letter and resume should be submitted in one .pdf formatted document. Please title your .pdf document as follows: [Job Title]_[Name of Candidate].pdf (eg., CHEERS Health Promotion Leader_Jane Doe.pdf).
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. After the close date, you can check on the status of your application through your Career Centre. New career opportunities arise frequently and are posted as they become available. Please check back often to view our latest postings on our Career Opportunities page. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Mount Royal University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to fostering diversity as a source of excellence, intellectual and cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome applications from those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, faculty and their scholarship including but not limited to Indigenous Peoples, women, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual or gender identity, ethnic, national or socio-economic background, religion or age.
Application deadline: 2020-08-11
Expected start date: 2020-08-24
Job Types: Part-time, Contract
Salary: $45.00 per hour
Able to do meetings via video conferencing.
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)