This competition is to fill a one-year term position, anticipatory perm position.
At the Department of Economic Development, our mandate is to develop a sustainable and competitive Yukon economy to enrich the quality of life of all Yukoners; to pursue economic initiatives with a shared vision of prosperity, partnerships and innovation; and to forge partnerships with First Nations in the economic development of the territory.
From advising small businesses to attracting investment, we connect our clients with the right people and resources to turn good ideas into reality. We provide analysis and insight that inform smart decision-making and assist clients as they access government supports. We are here to help businesses, industries and communities to see the big picture, envision the future of the Yukon economy, and find a path forward.
Reporting to the Deputy Minister, the Executive Assistant is the liaison between the Deputy Minister, the Assistant Deputy Minister, and members of the Minister’s Office, Branch directors, other departments and governments, boards and committees, external groups, organizations and members of the public.
This position provides executive level administrative support and requires a professional individual who is highly organized, and able to work independently in pressure situations. In addition, this position is responsible for editing and proof-reading the work of others, composes routine responses to a range of correspondence, and maintains an electronic and hardcopy record system, arranges travel itineraries, coordinates and attends meetings, prepares agendas, takes and prepares minutes, and conducts research on behalf of the Deputy Minister. The position also provides mentorship to other administrative assistant positions in the department.
As the ideal candidate, you are interested in working in a challenging, fast-paced environment where timelines are critical. Accuracy and paying attention to the details is important to you. You are confident and you show tact and diplomacy when dealing with a variety of people. You have a strong work ethic and you have excellent computer skills, complemented by excellent written and oral communication skills. You are able to work effectively alone or in a team environment and you are able to manage a large workload with frequent interruptions while continuing to meet deadlines. The ideal candidate is self-motivated, has good initiative, has excellent senior level administrative and interpersonal skills; and exercises diplomacy and confidentiality in their day-to-day work.
For more information about applying this opportunity, please contact Pamela Lattin, A/Director, Human Resources at [email protected]
Please do not email resumes to the above address. Resumes can only be accepted through e-recruitment. If you need technical support submitting your application/resume, contact: [email protected].
Please submit your resume clearly demonstrating how you meet the following qualifications – specifically – how your work experiences and related duties align with the essential qualifications shown below. Ensure a month/year format is used for each work experience. Note that selection for further consideration will be based solely on the information you provide in your resume.
- Successful completion of an office administration, business administration or related program;
- Extensive senior level executive and administrative experience providing support to senior managers, executives, preferably in a government or large corporate environment;
- Significant experience tracking information such as inquiries, documents, and information using electronic systems;
- Experience coordinating and organizing senior level briefings and senior level meeting materials;
- Significant senior level experience researching, writing, proofreading and editing correspondence and other documents and materials;
- Experience completing financial administrative tasks, such as accounts payable, cheque requisition, travel claims.
Candidates who have education, training, and/or experience equivalent to the essential qualifications listed above will be equally considered.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Suitability
Candidates should have and may be assessed on:
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite and ability to adapt to new technology quickly;
- Strong oral and written communication skills that demonstrate high levels of tact and diplomacy;
- Ability to manage a large workload with critical deadlines, with initiative to monitor and follow-up;
- Ability to be proactive, identify problems and make appropriate suggestions;
- Ability to analyze problems, think critically, and make appropriate recommendations;
- Strong prioritization and time management skills to adapt quickly to ever-changing deadlines.
Job requirements: Travel may be required within or outside Yukon