Job Requisition ID: 48575
Full or Part-Time: Full-time
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Scope: Open Competition
Closing Date: October 9, 2023
Classifcation: Legal Assistant 2
Salary: $2,073.50 to $2,549.41 bi-weekly ($54,118 to $66,539/year)
Are you looking for a new and exciting opportunity to utilize your legal administration skills? If so, take the next step and develop a career with us in an organization that fosters learning and growth in a supportive, respectful, and healthy work environment.
We are looking for a motivated Legal Assistant to provide legal support to the lawyers on the Health Law Team in Edmonton. The Alberta Justice Health Law Team is looking for someone who enjoys being part of a team and is interested in learning more about Alberta Health and Alberta’s healthcare system by supporting a busy and dynamic group of lawyers on a diverse range of complex advisory, legislative, contract and litigation-oriented health law files.
The Legal Assistants within our division play an integral part in our teams. In this challenging legal assistant role you will contribute by:
- Assisting lawyers with management of legal files using an electronic filing system (ProLaw)
- Providing support to the Director on issues management
- Liaising with clients and lawyers on action requests
- Overseeing processes for creation, review and filing of ministerial orders and directives and other subordinate legislation
- Facilitating workflow for contracts and grants
- Assisting with preparation of draft documents and legal submissions
- Managing correspondence and preparing packages for disclosure
- Creating reports, excel spreadsheets or other documents as needed
- Scheduling meetings
- Conducting corporate registry and courthouse searches
- Maintaining office supplies and office equipment
- Assisting with management of legal retainers
- Use various programs such as Adobe Pro, Microsoft Word and Excel
- Utilize research tools such as Canli and Westlaw
- Other responsibilities relating to day-to-day or priority issues as they arise as assigned by supervisor, Director or lawyers
To be successful in this position, you must be able to perform detailed work with a high level of accuracy and have excellent organizational skills to meet deadlines while handling a high volume of work. Your ability to exercise independent judgment and initiative while working in a team environment is necessary. As well, you must be able to build and maintain strong relationships with clients, lawyers and support staff.
Competencies are behaviors that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans. We encourage you to have an in depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process.
This link will assist you with understanding competencies:
The successful candidate will need to demonstrate the following:
- Systems Thinking: The work done within the APS is part of a larger integrated and inter-related environment. It is important to know that work done in one part of the APS impacts a variety of other groups/projects inside and outside the APS. Systems Thinking allows us to keep broader impacts and connections in mind.
- Agility: Ability to anticipate, assess, and readily adapt to changing priorities, manage resilience in times of uncertainty and effectively work in a changing environment.
- Drive for Results: Knowing what outcomes are important and maximizing resources to achieve results that are aligned with the goals of the organization, while maintaining accountability to each other and external stakeholders.
- Build Collaborative Environments: Leads and contributes to the conditions and environments that allow people to work collaboratively and productively to achieve outcomes.
- A Legal Assistant or Paralegal diploma
- 1 year of related experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Adobe
Directly related experience or education considered on the basis of:
- one year of experience for one year of education or
- one year of education for one year of experience.
- Government experience
- Experience with ARTS and/or ProLaw
In your cover letter, please briefly summarize:
- Legal experience and expertise,
- Relevant strengths and skills, and
- Reasons for interest in the position
Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Please Note: This competition may be used for future wage, temporary and permanent legal assistant vacancies in the Division.
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday, 36.25 hours per week.
Final candidates will be required to undergo a security screening. Any costs associated with obtaining the required documents/checks as noted or interview travel expenses, will be the responsibility of the candidate. Out-of-province applicants can obtain the required documents/checks from the province they currently reside in.
What We Offer:
- Working for the Alberta Public Service –
- Pension plans:
- Public Service Pension Plan (PSPP) –
- Leadership and mentorship programs
- Professional learning and development
- Positive workplace culture and work-life balance
- Opportunity to participate in flexible work arrangements such as working from home up to two days per week and modified work schedule agreements
- Research Alberta Public Service Careers tool –
How To Apply
Current employees should access the Career tile in 1GX to submit their application in order to be recognized as an internal applicant.
Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies, across the Government of Alberta, at the same or lower classification level.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you require any further information on this job posting or a copy of the role profile, please contact Veronica Noronha at [email protected].